• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

fuel shed decision...

mysteriousfish

Just removed the pulse air system on the 91 R100..now on to replacing the cracked fuel lines....trying to decide whether to rig up the OEM fuel shed octopus with the solenoids, hose clamps, etc. or just run clean lines to the carbs.

Have read all the posts on this subject and it seems about 75% say ditch the solenoid/switch system and 25% say leave it stock.

Most of those who say leave it be seem to be from hotter climates where gas fumes are an issue...I am in the PNW and hot temps are not really an issue...

Was considering ditching the fuel switch system, but leaving the tank and engine vent switch in the stock configuration...

Any one running that setup? Or should I just run the two vent hoses to the airbox and ditch the whole shed set up?

sorry for all the recent posts...but really like the feedback from so many with way more experience than me...

Mine still has the solenoids. And for 23 years and 130,000 miles they never failed.

I like the fact that when I drop my motorcycle occassionally - like in a creek - it is much quicker to turn off the ignition which also shuts off the fuel supply. Especially when the "beast" is laying on its side and it is hard to reach that petcock. :wow

When I had a R80/7 it happened a couple of times that I "broomed" off after a lunch stop and a few seconds later I nearly fell over the handlebar because I forgot to open the valves. :banghead

/Guenther

When I had a R80/7 it happened a couple of times that I "broomed" off after a lunch stop and a few seconds later I nearly fell over the handlebar because I forgot to open the valves. :banghead

/Guenther

That never happens to me :whistle

When I purchased the bike, the shed system removed. I've thought of putting the system back on the bike. One thing I don't like about removing the system is what/where route the tank vent. When I got the bike, the vent under the tank was just left alone. On hot days I can smell gas fumes. The big question is where to route the fumes.

The "other" solenoid vents the tank into the air filter box. But the hose from the tank vent is T-ed before it connects to the solenoid. One end of the T connects to the solenoid and the other end has a little high pressure valve which then connects to a nipple on top of the left side of the motor block next to the starter.

With ignition off and a sealed tank filler cap HIGH pressure in the tank vents into the motor block. With ignition on the fumes flow freely into the air filter box.

I like this "shed" system. It's a need little low-tech design. Some riders see it as too much high-tech in their old airheads. YMMV!

/Guenther

Back