• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EZ-Pass installation on my R1200RT

dckchk

I couldn't find an EZ-Pass mounting solution for my R1200RT that I liked so I finally worked out my own taking advantage of my GPS mounting bracket. I have written up a pdf document describing the construction and tried to find a way to post it on this forum but the file size including the photos was just too big. To get around this I posted an album with the same title as above. It's a bit awkward to match up the figures with the text this way but I think it gets the idea across. Anyone who would like a copy of the pdf to print out can just reply to this post with their email address and I will email a copy. The BMW GPS bracket is required to duplicate this installation but with suitable modification, the approach may be applicable to other configurations.

Attachments

• Fig 8. Close-up of E-ZPass as seen through the windshield.jpg
    Fig 8. Close-up of E-ZPass as seen through the windshield.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 924
Last edited:
I've just stuck mine to the inside of the windscreen using the velcro strips it came with on my last 3 bikes. Haven't had a problem yet. I do usually add a sticker over it to improve the look, but it works.

I was afraid to rely on that because I have had one fall from the windshield in my truck a couple of times. Exposure to the solar heating softens the adhesive and it never really recovers. You have to replace it. Also the curvature of the RT's windshield is much greater and doesn't provide as good a mounting point. Finally I really wanted the thing completely out of my view. If on the windshield it rises into view - not really a problem but I like it better fixed out of view. Really the bottom line for me was to completely eliminate any possibility of seeing the thing flying off the bike which I knew it would eventually do if I relied on the adhesive.

Hey whatever works. I've been doing this for nearly 60000 miles and so far, so good. (knock on wood)...if you clean the shield with a little alcohol before install you'll need a razor blade to get those strips off.

One guy in my club glued it to the inside of the top case on the left side, and it seems to work fine, another friend from VA leaves it in the tank bag and swears it works perfectly.

If mine ever does fall off, I was looking at that space under the windshield plastic where it would be secure while off the bike, or maybe mounting it inside the front left body work where it should read easily at tolls and still be inconspicuous.

I asked about getting one of the black exterior ones you see mounted on license plates thinking it would be simple to simply wire tie to the forks behind the fairing, but they said they weren't available as they wouldn't read the tolls correctly for motorcycles. Damn shame, that would have been perfect!

Put it in your jacket pocket

Since I rarely get on toll roads, I just put my iPass in the inner chest pocket of my Comfort Shell jacket. It reads it thru the material (at least in the Illinois toll system). Even if it would miss, the toll would be covered since the license plate is tied to the iPass...

No mounts, glue, tape, worry about it getting stolen, etc.

I was very impressed with the tenacity of the adhesive of the Velcro pads when I installed my car EZ-Pass - until a couple of years later when the thing started falling off the windshield. I did have to use a razor blade to clean the windshield for a replacement which has held for a year so far.

I tried putting it in the top pocket of my Olympia jacket and it failed to read in a NH toll gate. I think the reading reliability is sensitive to orientation as indicated by the "this side up" label. I may have had it in my pocket on it's side.

I considered putting it lower in the fairing but preferred not to have to pull off so much plastic. Also I preferred to be able to check on it and easily replace it if it became defective or obsolete.

I had just about decided to put it in the tank bag but I quite often have to go through the gates in NH and ME and didn't want to force the use of the tank bag every time.

I realize that the toll authority will check the vehicle and match it to an active EZ-Pass in most cases but I feel better seeing that green light register - every time reliability. Also we now have the new high speed lanes and I wanted the most reliabile configuration I
could achieve.

My mounting method appeals to me because it puts the EZ-Pass in a location not likely to be used for anything else where it's connection is very reliable, where it is physically secure and where I can now pretty much forget about it.

Since I rarely get on toll roads, I just put my iPass in the inner chest pocket of my Comfort Shell jacket. It reads it thru the material (at least in the Illinois toll system). Even if it would miss, the toll would be covered since the license plate is tied to the iPass...

No mounts, glue, tape, worry about it getting stolen, etc.

Same here. No problems. Lately I've started putting it under the clear map cover on my GS tank bag. There's even a little rectangular depression that it fits into nicely. Again, no problems.

The problem can be a tad more complex when an EZPass doesn't read if you are in a toll that uses a gate, as many in NY state do. Pretty much means you sit there until a unformed government revenue collector happens to notice the traffic tie-up and ambles over to see what the problem is.

FWIW - my EZPass is painted black, and tie-wrapped to the frame for the BMW touring shield on my R12R. Almost invisible, yet it works every time. And tie wraps are cheap, even if you use a bunch like I did.

I'm also moving this thread to the Hexhead forum since it is bike specific and a nice offer by the original poster to give instructions for people who might be interested.

Update - I *would* move it over to Hexheads if the forum was working correctly. Unfortunately - there are still parts/tools that aren't working, like the drop-down tools at the top of a thread.

Back