• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R.I.P. George McGovern

Rudyjo

Dale Rudolph
A good caring man, first person running for president that I voted for.
Wish there were more people like him today.

A good caring man, first person running for president that I voted for.
Wish there were more people like him today.

McGovern was a B25 pilot in WW2 and was on the first mission to bomb Austria. Prior to reaching the target, the senior Austrian officers surrendered to the Allies and the mission was recalled. Unable to land with a bomb load, the pilots had to dump their loads.

McGovern returned to Austria several decades later to meet the remaining family members of the farm that his bomb load hit.

He was a complex man from a complex time.

Neither the hero or villain his legend would make him out to be. Rather, like so many of his generation a man of belief and conviction that acted on the call to service without being an ideologue or a personal agenda. No matter what you think of his conclusions the nation was well served by men and women on any side of the aisle like him. He was in the Senate when I lived in SD in the late 70s early 80s. My business gave me the chance to work with his staff and him and spend some time with him. My condolences to family and friends.

The only thing I know about him is his name being mentioned in a Charlie Daniel's Band song... A bit before my time.

I was not in agreement with most of his political views, but I considered him a fine man and a patriot. We could use more men and women like him in modern public life. RIP.

I was not in agreement with most of his political views, but I considered him a fine man and a patriot. We could use more men and women like him in modern public life. RIP.

There was a time when we put country first and politics second. It seems as if it's been the other way around for quite a few years now.

It seems that for many, regardless of the costs it imposes on the country, as long as we "win" in the political venue, the ends justify the means and no tactic is off-limits.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Massachusetts) were best-friends for decades, regardless of the fact that they could not be more diametrically opposed on the political spectrum. You don't see much of that anymore.

Frankly, I blame the news media. Conflict sells more papers and more commercials than does compromise, and so the media emphasizes every difference and ignores every square inch of common ground.

The bill that McGovern brought to the senate floor to stop funding for the Vietnam war was co-written with the senator from Oregon, Mark Hatfield, a rebublican.

It was a B-24 that he flew in WW2.

He was a true advocate of peace.
He knew the Vietnam war was wrong and was willing to do something about it.
Just think about how many people would have lived had he become president in 1968--both US soldiers and innocent Vietnam civilians.

When it comes to whether Viet Nam was "wrong" it's pretty much impossible to separate the fact that the draft existed at the time.

It's certainly popular today to honor recent veterans for their service and this should be extended to Viet Nam era veterans equally.

Time to forget about "wrong."

Back