• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

012 RT clunky sound in gear on C.S.

wvpc

During my 12 K mile service today I ran the bike thru the gears, motor running, while working with the GS-911. I heard, continually, a clunky sound coming from the rear wheel area. I ran the tranny from 1st to 6th and back down to neutral with the rear wheel spinning up to about 25mph. The clunky sound was present the whole time. I stopped the motor, check the rear wheel for looseness, etc but could not find a problem.

I still have the tupperware off so did not go for a test ride.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

You were running the bike on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground, yes?

If so, don't do that. If you measure the amount of movement under a fixed point on the circumference of your rear wheel with the bike in gear you will find anywhere from 1 1/2 to 4 inches of play. That "slop" comes from FD, drive shaft, and transmission gear lash. When you run the bike unloaded on the center stand the rear wheel will bounce back and forth between the two ends of that range of slop, creating the clunky sound you were hearing.

I appreciate the replies

Thanks for the prompt replies to my question.

The only reason I started the bike and ran it thru the gears on the centerstand is that one of the tests for the GS-911 calls for it.

I would hope that during the short amount of time it takes to do the one GS-911 test during 12K checks no damage to the drivetrain would occur.

What type of damage might one incur?

Nothing will happen if you don't make a habit of it- its not that fragile. But banging bits, even gently, is never a great idea

Out of curiosity, what on the GS-911 asks you to do that? Don't recall seeing it on mine but then my software is a year or 2 old and my RT is an 08...

I don't know of any test with the GS-911 that calls for it but I may have missed it. Having the plastic off the bike doesn't mean you can't ride the bike.

As noted, freewheeling the bike through the gears is a bad idea.

Lastly, I'm curious what you felt the need to do to a 2012 RT that needed the GS-911 and this kind of test. At 12K miles, that bike should be a rock. It it's not, get thee to ye ole dealer and make them make it that way for you.....;)

Adaptation values

The test I performed during the 12k service using the GS-911 was;

Under the engine directory;

Adaptation values;

"other changes in and around the fueling system.....intake filter. All gear sensor values should not be 0....and increase in value according to the gear positon.

G1 0.31V
N 0
G2 0.74V
G3 1.19V
G4 2.97V
G5 3.87V
G6 4.73V

The 911 then prompts you to start the bike on the centerstand, run thru the gears staying for 3 seconds in each gear.

I ran the test because it presented itself to me and since I changed the airfilter thought it might apply. I am trying to learn the bike and diagnostic tool while performing my own service(s). So I try to explore the software gently and try to do no harm to the bike or "don't fix what ain't broken". I do know running thru the gears on the cs can be very dangerous and do not recommend any one to do that ever. But the test is present and there must be a good reason for it.

I guess I need more time on the 911 forum to increase my knowledge. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

There are a bunch of trouble shooting things in the GS-911 and this is one. You didn't do any damage and perhaps noting the normal values for your nearly new bike will have some future value- but I doubt it. Doesn't hurt to explore its capabilities a bit.

Back