• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride or Drive ?

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
My wife and I are planning a trip next summer, we live in the east and are going to take off without any real agenda, just go which ever way we are pointed. We want to do some hiking and here is the problem. Where do we stash our gear, helmets, jackets, etc.If we ride ? We have traveled many miles on our motorcycles and always have the same problem, side cases full, top case full, don't want to just walk off and leave our expensive gear hanging on the bike. So, the wife wants to drive her Mini Cooper, it gets great milage and has plenty of room for all our stuff and we can lock the doors and hike, sightsee etc. I say the Mini is fun but you just don't get the same sense of adventure as riding. Any ideas to help me sway her back to riding instead of driving ?

What gear are you refering too... all your camping gear (are you camping or staying in hotels?) or just your riding gear?

If it just riding gear and your worried about leaving it unattended with your motorcycle, try using a couple of heavy duty bicycle cable locks. Run the cable through the arms and legs of your jackets/pants (helmet too) and then secure to the frame of your motorcycle. Don't leave anything in the pockets. My wife and I have done this several times and everything was right where we left... didn't see any signs of tampering.

If it's more than just your riding gear, check into PACSAFE products.

(something like this... http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector )

What gear are you refering too... all your camping gear (are you camping or staying in hotels?) or just your riding gear?

If it just riding gear and your worried about leaving it unattended with your motorcycle, try using a couple of heavy duty bicycle cable locks. Run the cable through the arms and legs of your jackets/pants (helmet too) and then secure to the frame of your motorcycle. Don't leave anything in the pockets. My wife and I have done this several times and everything was right where we left... didn't see any signs of tampering.

To this good advice, I would simply add concealing everything with a half-cover as well.

Out of sight - out of temptation. :thumb

PS: And drier too if it sprinkles before you get back!

Be aware that the Pacsafe net is quite capable of scratching the finish on your bike.

He is correct. Don't ride with the PACSAFE net around your gear. If you need to use one, remove your gear from the motorcycle, set it on the ground and then use the cable lock to secure it to the frame or nearby tree or pole.

I bet if you post this question on a mini cooper forum, you'll get different answers. My wife and I have done both. In 2010, we planned a trip to Montana on the RT. I got behind and as departure arrived, I decided her Z3 was a wiser choice. We had a blast. Take the mini, and next year, take the bike. The bike can be more trouble if you have other activities planned. If your wife would be happier on a long trip in the car, you'll be points ahead on your next bike trip by accomodating her this time.

I bet if you post this question on a mini cooper forum, you'll get different answers. My wife and I have done both. In 2010, we planned a trip to Montana on the RT. I got behind and as departure arrived, I decided her Z3 was a wiser choice. We had a blast. Take the mini, and next year, take the bike. The bike can be more trouble if you have other activities planned. If your wife would be happier on a long trip in the car, you'll be points ahead on your next bike trip by accomodating her this time.

Thanks, I think you are right. She has put in lots of miles on the seat behind me so I think it may be her turn....

Never had that problem

I have traveled all over America, Europe, Africa, and much of the Middle East and never had a problem leaving my stuff on the motorcycle.

I used to re-po cars and can tell you that none of the suggestions offered and nothing that I know of will keep you safe from a determined thief

Good luck in your travels.

Take the Mini-Cooper and it will be easy to talk her into the bike the next year. Based on my friend's experience with his, it is a less than perfect long trip car.

In the never ending pursuit of marital harmony, I gave up my extended riding vacation this summer. Mrs. Squiffy doesn't ride and has no interest in it. So, a 2 week driving vacation to the Black Hills was made tolerable by taking the Mustang convertible. If you can't ride, at least go in a convertible. Pretty fun for a cage!

The new VW Beetle is going to be available as a diesel convertible. This will be a way cooler car than a Mini.

A couple years ago I bought my first convertible but couldn't stand it because I felt I should be wearing my helmet.

So, it's something of a motorcycle-like experience, then.

A long with the cables. I carry a cover which goes over the windshield and all the gear.

Also a small trailer could be pulled.

The new VW Beetle is going to be available as a diesel convertible. This will be a way cooler car than a Mini.

A couple years ago I bought my first convertible but couldn't stand it because I felt I should be wearing my helmet.

So, it's something of a motorcycle-like experience, then.

No way is the Bug half as cool as her Mini :stick

As age progresses the SO rides far less. We are now reduced to me riding, her flying to our destination for shorter rides. June I rode across Canada to Americade, down to DC where she flew into Dullus. From there we rode to Gettysburg. She flew back, I rode.

Not ideal, but I get to ride. We get to vacation together.
jim

Back