Thread: chain & sproket time

Two Rivers Wi.

chain & sproket time

This is on a 2011 F800R, I plan on changing front and rear sprockets and installing new chain next week. the front sprocket appears to be held on with a 17mm bolt. Remove chain, remove bolt and sprocket should come off am I correct? rear looks to be remove bolts and reinstall, should I use Loctite. Anything else I should watch for?

I've done it a few times on a F650GS and it sounds like you've got it. There was no loctite on any of the fasteners from the factory, so I did not use any. I did use a torque wrench.

Over on there are several "how to" videos including how to change the sprockets and chain. Good stuff located at posts 27 and 30....HERE.
    Last edited by akbeemer; 05-14-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Northern Front Range, CO
    Just did mine on my F8GS a few weeks ago.

I went with a riveted chain rather than BMWs endless loop chain, along with using aftermarket sprockets.

I had to use a gear puller to yank the front sprocket. It would not have come off with just hand pressure.
    Follow (most of) the instructions in your shop manual- the differences will be if you use a riveted chain, you don't have to yank the swingarm off the bike, nor do any of the dismantling req'd to remove it.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots