• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle carrying trailer?

BMW offered a really nice trailer once.

Attachments

• BMW%20Multitrailer%20MC.jpg
    BMW%20Multitrailer%20MC.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,011
I don't need a trailer very often. But when ya need one, ya need one. Mine mostly gets used for getting the Husky to offroad riding areas. The Kendon is a nice trailer and stores very easily.

IMG1126-L.jpg

IMG1130-L.jpg

I wanted a trailer to carry everything - camping gear, kayaking gear, bicycling gear, motorcycling gear, etc.

I spent months looking and thinking before the local Mazda dealer posted a Craigslist ad for a 2002 16' x 8' Pace American two-axle enclosed cargo trailer. The trailer had been used by a construction company as a mobile office and storage room, so it had a 30 amp 120v hook-up to a breaker box feeding 120v outlets, lights, and a heater.

It also had full-length shelving installed along the left side and a desk/table built into the front of the trailer with a fluorescent light fixture above the desk. The floor had been covered in indoor-outdoor carpeting, and it came with a nice aluminum roof rack perfect for transporting the 21' sea kayak on top. Our two 15' sea kayaks fit on the top two shelves inside.

All my camping, kayaking, and bicycling gear is now stored in the trailer instead of the garage, opening up all kinds of room in the garage for motorcycles and other toys. I added an aluminum ramp, a front-wheel chock and four tie-downs so I can transport the motorcycle inside. Eventually, I'll add fold-down bunks to the right sidewall so we can sleep in the trailer when it's too cold/wet/windy/late to set up a tent.

I was able to get the $12,000 trailer (new) for $3300. I had to spend approximately $500 to get the trailer's 12v lights running, and to get a trailer brake controller installed in my truck. I've found a source to add a "RV window" to the door on the right side of the trailer. I'll need to replace two of the three roof vents as the sun has destroyed the plastic parts.

But once I'm done, I'll have a "sport utility trailer" that allows me to take all my gear and toys wherever I go.

Attachments

• 577328_4734602450082_2054844272_n.jpg
    577328_4734602450082_2054844272_n.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,595
OI- great minds think alike. :brad
I have one of these around kinda surplus and I'm going to make a short trip camper out of it.....if I can get a minute. Gary

rotation06.jpg

If all you want is an occasional trailer and you don't need to haul lawn mowers and the like and storage is a premium, consider a "Trailer-in-a-bag". I bought one a few years ago after a guy delivered a K75 all the way from Kansas City to me (miss. Gulf coast). I was impressed. I've used it a lot since then and have been very happy with it. They are well designed and engineered.

trailer

A big plus for the Aluma Trailer. I have the same trailer at the picture. I also bought a Baxley Chalk and mounted it on the trailer. All I have to do is drive the bike up and onto the chalk. I get off and the chalk holds the bike while I put my strips on the bike for the tie downs. Went all the way to Florida and back with the bike resting comfortably on its little platform. This year I purchased the Aluma sides for the trailer. The front wall is solid while the sides are slat aluminum. Great little trailer.

OI- great minds think alike. :brad
I have one of these around kinda surplus and I'm going to make a short trip camper out of it.....if I can get a minute. Gary

rotation06.jpg

I like the ladder - I need to add the exact same thing to mine. I have a 12v deep cycle battery on my trailer tongue A-frame, so the ladder will have to work around that, but it seems like the front/tongue is the ideal location for the ladder (as opposed to affixed to a rear door).

I also think I want to install some sort of "catwalk" on the roof rack so I can walk along the roof to help load and tie down the 21' sea kayak I'm planning on transporting on top of the trailer.

I like the ladder - I need to add the exact same thing to mine. I have a 12v deep cycle battery on my trailer tongue A-frame, so the ladder will have to work around that, but it seems like the front/tongue is the ideal location for the ladder (as opposed to affixed to a rear door).

I also think I want to install some sort of "catwalk" on the roof rack so I can walk along the roof to help load and tie down the 21' sea kayak I'm planning on transporting on top of the trailer.
Actually it's a full walk on roof with ladder (or whatever) racks. I put a deep cycle battery inside to run the lights and the battery break-a-way system.
I hope the OP hasn't been too confused with all this extra info. Hopefully the OP sees the possibilities of having a trailer around. OM

Here it hauls the bike. Nice to have a capable friend. to build/modify something like this. Started out as a Harbor Freight unit.
As far as that "slick wheelie" in the original post, It's my understanding that this mode of carry will likely damage the transmission on some bikes due to improper oil circulation when the gears are spun from the rear wheel in neutral. If you check the manual for your car it will discourage towing it with the drive wheels on the ground except for very short distances as well. Disconnecting a chain/belt/shaft would cure that, but what a pain.

Attachments

• I-Pod 3 Sacrves 229.jpg
    I-Pod 3 Sacrves 229.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 778
Op

The OP is much smarter as a result of these posts!

Storage of an enclosed trailer is a huge problem in an urban area, so that's out. 'Sounds like installing a hitch and occasionally borrowing a trailer is the right solution!

Thanks everyone!:dance

Kendon Trailer

I bought a used Kendon trailer of ebay. Have only used it to pull a KLR, have not neede to try my GSA on it yet. With the KLR did not even know it was back there! Was easy to back up. It also will stand up when not using it. I love mine! Also it has torsion suspension which is a smoother ride.
Phil

Not to hijack, but with a proper ramp, is using a pickup truck a fairly sustainable way of hauling a larger bike, such as a R1150RT? I dang near killed myself unloading my R75, but I wasn't doing it properly or with a purpose-made ramp either.

. I used to be one of those guys who said he would never be without a pickup.

Back