• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Procedure for touching up paint?

You do not need color rite for clear coat repair as there is no tint to clear. Is there damage to the base coat which has the color? You might also avoid clear coat & just touch up with a lacquer repair color as mentioned in this forum-search. recent threads.
Go to Wally World & buy a clear touch up thingy. The real technique comes into play in being able to make the repair as un-noticeable as possible via either careful application or wet sanding with micro grit paper & polishing the area. Takes practice to avoid erosion of the surrounding area!

Is there some sort of clear coat that you should apply over an area touched up with paint?

I just did some touch up with colorite and it definitely needs a clear top coat. In my case the bike appeared to have been dropped in the garage and it had some gouges, it tried sanding everything down and then applying colorite paint using a good brush, and honestly I think I should just left it alone and chalked it up to a character mark, because the damage is still quite noticeable.
If you want my opinion I would opt for the Dr. Colorchip solution, I have had better luck with their stuff and did not have to clear coat it afterwards.

I'd be happy to look at the area you want to repair(and advise) sometime I'm in Lexington, if that's helpful to you? :wave

Back