• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

My 08 RT needs the Final Drive and Spline Lube, Latest Lubricants Please?

cookie

Jeff
I noticed Mr. Semper Fi's FD maintenance is using the red BMW 75W90 oil and the Honda Moly Paste.
I visited the BMW dealer last week and they are using the new and improved Castrol GL5, synthetic oil and some expensive bulk moly grease.
I am sorry if this is redundant I am asking for the latest and greatest.
I know the volume of oil was reduced to 180 and I still have some BMW oil can I use it?
I have 24,000 miles on the 08 RT and it is time to lube the splines and change the oil even though the dealer says you don't need to change it every 12,000 miles.
What interval is now recommended?
When I bought it after the initial 600 mile service they said it is a lifetime fill.
Thanks for your help!
Jeff

Here is what I use:

Castrol Hypoy C 80w90, GL5 rated gear oil with a moly additive from Guard Dog Moly in the final drive.

GD525 moly grease from Guard Dog Moly for the splines.

I use the red stuff - BMW Synthetic 75W-90.

I use a mix of Honda Moly60 and Wurth 3000 grease on the splines - when needed. So far (at 62,000 miles) - since I used this the first time, the grease hasn't been needed. It's holding up quite nicely on the splines.

I also use a bit of the Wurth 3000 grease (sticky as snot) on the surfaces of the accordion boot on the rear drive to swingarm joint.. and make absolutely certain that the internal plastic expanders are in place on the boot before sealing it to the swingarm. People who have missed this have had failed U joints (and ugly splines) due to water getting into the space that can't get out. (I can't stress this enough.. it's a "clever dumb" design, clever in how it seals up the entire driveshaft/spline chamber, dumb in that it's easy to screw up, and if you do - it tends to destroy what it's supposed to protect.)

The rear-drive change interval is now 12,000 miles (but I suspect this is over cautious guesswork from BMW.. mine has always looked exactly like it did when I put it in when I drain it.)

I've been using the specified Castrol SAF-XO in the final drive and gear box with plans to change it every 6,000 miles with the valve adjustment and throttle body synchronization. The fluid may be purchased relatively inexpensively from the BMW auto dealers in bulk for about $23/L. It's the same as they specify for the automotive open differentials.

My point is SAF-XO has never been specified for transmissions.

Looking over a new Police R1200RT recently I noted a sticker on the fuel tank area specifying use of only BMW synthetic motor oil. Like the BMW gear oil, this will be difficult to obtain anywhere but the USA.

There are specifications and then there are the "we would like you to buy this from us" statements. If BMW requires a specific product branded by them, then that must be provided free of charge by them: see Magnusson Moss Act. I'll bet the specifications and their recommendations differ. They almost always do.

There are specifications and then there are the "we would like you to buy this from us" statements. If BMW requires a specific product branded by them, then that must be provided free of charge by them: see Magnusson Moss Act. I'll bet the specifications and their recommendations differ. They almost always do.

Excellent point !

BMW and most other manufacturers have been misleading the public for years regarding requirements and recommendations and of course the dealers have been complicit.

My point is SAF-XO has never been specified for transmissions.

Originally, I only meant to imply that I use the Castrol SAF-XO as specified for the final drive; and, additionally use it in the gearbox. So, now I did some checking in the BMW RepROM disc (K2x Street, 5th Edition, 2011) and see that Castrol SAF-XO is also specified for the gearbox (at least in this source document purchased from BMW).

BTW, the same source specifies Optimoly TA for the splines.

Originally, I only meant to imply that I use the Castrol SAF-XO as specified for the final drive; and, additionally use it in the gearbox. So, now I did some checking in the BMW RepROM disc (K2x Street, 5th Edition, 2011) and see that Castrol SAF-XO is also specified for the gearbox (at least in this source document purchased from BMW).

BTW, the same source specifies Optimoly TA for the splines.

Yeah, my RepROM is an earlier version.

SAF-XO wouldn't hurt a transmission, for sure. An expensive way to go.

There appear to be several different alternatives to the BMW specified lubricants that folks are using for their final drives and splines. Earlier, I shared that BMW specifies Castrol SAF-XO for the final drive and then noted that the lubricant for the splines is Optimoly TA.

In searching for the spline lube, I learned that it has been marketed under different names with the (apparent) current name of Castrol Optimol Paste TA. It even comes with a BMW part number (18 21 9 062 599) for around $22 in a 100g tube. IÔÇÖm not sure if it is easily purchased from BMW (perhaps from the automotive dealer). Other brands (Porsche, Audi) also specify Castrol Optimol Paste TA. So, there may be other sources available for purchase.

HereÔÇÖs what it looks like in the 100g tube...

a9eqy9aq.jpg

Cheers!

BMW and most other manufacturers have been misleading the public for years regarding requirements and recommendations and of course the dealers have been complicit.

Of course because mechanics and owners always know more than engineers and designers.

Go ahead and put the grease of your choice on your MD-80 elevator jackscrew, too.

Last edited:
the lubricant for the splines is Optimoly TA.

This stuff is a longtime recommendation, even for Airheads.

I've still got some in an original Optimol tube. Castrol has since bought this brand.

Don't really think it's the stuff for lubing splines as it's usually described as "high-temperature assembly paste," which means it's an antiseize compound. I for sure assembled Airhead exhaust nuts to cylinder head using it.

It's in my version of R1200 RepROM as the stuff to use when mounting the muffler, installing the O2 sensors, and on the studs for exhaust at the heads.

At the price they charge for Castrol SAF-XO there can be no doubt they "recommend" its use. But to think that it has some special quality that makes it the only aceptable gear oil is to waste money. I wonder how many warranty claims BMW has tried to deny by claiming that Castrol SAF-XO was not used; none I would surmise. I know at least two dealers that do not use it as their standard shop gear oil for services.

At the price they charge for Castrol SAF-XO there can be no doubt they "recommend" its use. But to think that it has some special quality that makes it the only aceptable gear oil is to waste money.

It has three special qualities

1. It's synthetic

2. It's designed for lifetime fill applications

3. It's the oil the designers of the final drive had in mind when they designed it.

It's simply outrageous to post that that it's specified only because it's expensive. A post from la la land for sure.

Kent, as is often the case with you, your last response contains a touch of gratuitous vitriol. It is not enough to disagree with me, and to perhaps provide some fact or logic to support your position; no, you must throw in a demeaning or belittling comment to fill the factual void. You appear to me to be the grumpiest, most irascible and churlish person on this forum. Fortunately for me I've read enough of your stuff to assign it the import it merits.

It has three special qualities

1. It's synthetic

2. It's designed for lifetime fill applications

3. It's the oil the designers of the final drive had in mind when they designed it.

It's simply outrageous to post that that it's specified only because it's expensive. A post from la la land for sure.

Given the track record for final drive reliability, I'm not sure how much esteem I should hold for the designers of the final drives.

Given the track record for final drive reliability, I'm not sure how much esteem I should hold for the designers of the final drives.

That's valid, but it doesn't mean someone else knows of a better lube for this particular design.

Back