Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 BMW R1200RT Comments

2009 BMW R1200RT Comments

As a newby to the BMW world who has been around BMW Airheads, I came across a 2009 BMW R1200RT with about 114,000 kilometers. Full set of service records and from doing a walk around this machine has been well looked after.
    Being that I really know nothing about these machines, what do the masses of the Hexhead/Camheads think of these machines. What should I lookout for? Is there any pro's or con's of these new machines.
    I was originally going to look at and purchase a new 2013 Triumph Trophy 1200 but don't want to take out a second mortgage as they are priced at here in Canada $ 22,500. Tax in out the door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by b25bsaboy; 11-08-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Check for final drive, rare but potential (search forums on what to look for), this is after they redid the fuel pump so chances are minimal there but still not the most robust design, up to 2011 ish model likes to eat the occasional fuel strip. Other than that not much. Check the feel of the suspension on a test ride, if you like it awesome, some note that they dont like the feel around that mileage and change out for ohlins etc, and get an idea on the last brake job (rear likes to eat the inner pad prematurely). That is probably most of the majors. Overall its a good bike and pretty well sorted. If you wrench at all (guessing you do with an airhead) this one is pretty straight forward sans the electrics.

Just a thought...

If you can test drive a 2010 model in addition the 2009, you can decide whether the engine/transmission changes in 2010 are worth the extra cost. Even though I have a 2009, I really like the shorter gearing in 1-2-3 that came with the engine change in 2010. This might be particularly important if you ride with a pillion.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Another potential problem with the R1200RT/GS/R is the fuel pump controller aka FPC which resides in a well on top of the gas tank. This location makes it potentially subject to getting wet and self-destructing, leaving the fuel pump without power. BMW has created a new FPC with better water-proofing ($135 US), and BurnsMoto makes a $25 jumper for a short-term, on-the-road fix if the problem occurs. I've had my 2008 RT in a whole lot of rain during the past few weeks (7.25 inches in Abilene, TX), and no sign of trouble. Also, others have had problems with fuel supply to the engine. There are some explanations for fixes for all of these issues on the forum.
    Last edited by ExGMan; 10-19-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

2009 is an excellent year. Last year before a fairly significant change in the model.

(2005-2009).

I have an '09 I bought new. has about 10,000 trouble free miles. I understand fully this is not a lot of miles for an RT. The only repair has been a new fuel strip and a recall on the front brake lines.

As far as the FPC goes, I discussed this with the service manager at our dealership recenyly. He said they had a rash of them come in but that was a few years back and the later model bikes (like my '09) he had seen none. I like the 2009 switch gear better and the appearance better than the newer bikes.

MY persoanal opinion is that 2009 is a great year to buy and the newer engine is a non-issue. If you ride 2-up a lot the small bit of lower end torque in the newer model may be an advantage for you, if not go for the '09 depending also on what the bike is equipped with.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

just get it.

i would.

i told my kids i ain't leaving them nothing.

i want them to be SAD at the funeral.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

When I bought my '09, the '10's were available. I chose the '09 as it was the last of the single cams and by my reading fairly easy to service.

I'm just in the 16K range on the RT and to date the only real expense has been replacing the OEM Bridgestones with a pair of PR3's. Any other expense has been voluntary i.e. seat, windshield, top box, tank bag, GPS. I do my best to stay away from ethanol fuels and to date not even a fuel strip has had to be replaced. Still on warranty and am considering extended warranty although the bike has been so good I'm reluctant to write the cheque. Have you checked the in-service date to see if your purchase would allow for extended warranty, it might offer you peace of mind?

Regardless of the bike chosen they all will have problems and expense sooner or later but I'm sure that the smile I get from riding the RT will ease the pain when my turn comes. Excellent fit, finish, handling, suspension, brakes, weather protection and rider ergonomics. Like many on this forum, I've tried and owned many other rides over many years and I'm pretty sure this is the one - it really is a kick, regardless of the year you choose.

Looks like an after market seat. That has to be the single most popular change by most new owners of this bike. At least you'll have that mod out of the way (assuming that you like that seat - looks like a Corbin).

As others have said - the 2009 is a good year to have.

tsp
    My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Another potential problem with the R1200RT/GS/R is the fuel pump controller aka FPC which resides in a well on top of the gas tank. .
    Just the RT & GS have the well in a horizontal position...the R is under the tank vertical.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    I would definitely take a serious look at this bike. Yes, the driver seat is aftermarket and yes 2009 is the last year of the series so all the 'kinks' were worked out in that design by then. Of course I am biased having two RTs in the family already - i have not had any FPC issues and have checked regularly for moisture in the location most see it. Neither have I had any fuel strip issues but do avoid using ethanol tainted fuel and have been very rigorous on final drive maintenance and see no issues at all. I don't put on as many miles as a lot of folks on this forum but have accumulated ~70K Km on my '08 RT with only normal maintenance and wear items such as tires.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

what should I lookout for? b25bsaboy
    Rick:

I would have Anderwerks do a pre purchase inspection on the bike before closing on it. As part of the inspection, have Dave's guys pull the hatch for the fuel pressure controller, inspect the cavity for corrosion, and seal the hatch when they're done.

I had them do that to the ST I got a few months ago.

Good luck with the purchase. RTs are popular bikes, and a lot of guys think it's BMW's best model.

Is Blackfoot throwing in some warranty, for you?
    Last edited by Rinty; 10-20-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Rick:

I would have Anderwerks do a pre purchase inspection on the bike before closing on it. As part of the inspection, have Dave's guys pull the hatch for the fuel pressure controller, inspect the cavity for corrosion, and seal the hatch when they're done.

I had them do that to the ST I got a few months ago.

Good luck with the purchase. RTs are popular bikes, and a lot of guys think it's BMW's best model.

Is Blackfoot throwing in some warranty, for you?
    The owner of the R1200RT that I bought the bike from directly has warranty till April 2014. Was thinking of having Dave and his crew go through the bike before the 2013 season!
    Rick MacPherson

Ah, good plan, and you're in good shape on the warranty. Have the hatch sealed as part of the inspection.

Look forward to meeting you at a Rocky Bow breakfast sometime.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Go for it!

Go for it! I've got a 2009 RT with almost 18,000 miles on it. Only two issues since the day I picked it up new and both were covered under warranty. On the day I picked it up the fuel strip failed and had to be replaced, nothing after that until about a month ago I had a leaky final drive seal which was replaced. That's it, nothing other than that and the bike has performed beautifully, I have been doing the maintenance on it myself since the 12,000 mile check and it's easy to work on. This bike is a fantastic touring bike and is nimble like a sport bike as well, you really can't go wrong if you still have an active warranty and you can see the complete maintenance records on the bike. Good luck with your choice, I think my RT is the best bike I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Ah, good plan, and you're in good shape on the warranty. Have the hatch sealed as part of the inspection.

Look forward to meeting you at a Rocky Bow breakfast sometime.
    Look forward to meeting you as well and will try and get out to the breakfast.

I went to the HexHead/CamHeads DIY/Tech Library discussing some of the step by step needed to complete the various task. Oh boy this is going to prove some interesting times as it appears there is some complexity and there appears to be no short cuts. Guess I may have found a machine that I will have to let others do the work, but will respond to this after I have had the R1200RT for the first year. I have to confess I have not been this excited about a machine since I got my 2001 1200 Trophy. This machine took a lot of work to put the bike right and it was flawless for the time that I owned it. When I bought it from the Triumph/BMW dealer here in Calgary, I was told it was haunted as the machine was three years old and had gone thought four (4) owners. It appeared when it was built in Hinkley, some things were missed steps on the assembly line electrically and the dealer didn't want to take the time to resolve. Took me about a year and 7 hours Dyno time and it turned out to be a beautiful riding machine. From there started collecting Airheads and being limited storage room wise something had to go.
    I am really looking forward to being in the saddle of the R1200RT!
    Rick MacPherson