• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Liquid Engineering Thread.

Which Oil manufacturer do you use?

• Mobil

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Castrol

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Pennsoil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Shell

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • BMW

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Royal Purple

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Quaker State

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters
1981 R80G/S, 1982 R100RS, 2000 R1100RT
I like to keep it simple and use the same oil in all three bikes.

Manufacturer: Castrol
4 Stroke MOTORCYCLE oil - (Dino Oil)
Weight: 20W50 SG rated

I can get this stuff for a reasonable price at the local Canadian Tire store and pretty much any auto parts place when I am wandering around the USA. I follow the BMW oil change mileage recommendations and usually not before unless I am leaving on a very long ride and know an oil change is coming up in the next 1000 miles or less.

Also use the same gear oil in all the transmissions and drive shafts as well.
80/90 dino hypoid gear oil GL5 rated. I like simple. Simple is good! :thumb

Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50 motorcycle oil.
supposed to be API SJ rated:

The Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 container in my hand reads API SG/SH/CF

The webpage I linked says it's SJ rated, and the bottle I have here says:
"meets or exceeds the requirements of API SJ" in the blue band to the left over the SAE 20W-50 rating.
it also says, like yours- API SG,SH, CF rating on the main lable.

Back