• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Liquid Engineering Thread.

Which Oil manufacturer do you use?

• Mobil

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Castrol

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Pennsoil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Shell

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • BMW

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Royal Purple

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Quaker State

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters

limeymike

I'm interested in what oil types we are using in our airheads. Sorry limited to 10 options. I don't want to get into any deep oil speak but if you want to add some basic info: Dino or Synthetic etc that would be helpful.

example:

Manufaturer: Castrol
Brand: GTX - Dino
Weight: 20W50
Motorcycle: R80RT ('86)
Miles: 62,34

*Pennzoil, yep typo in poll list.

Last edited:
Valvoline
4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-oil/13
20w-50
93 R100R, currently with 26K

The reason I use Valvoline MC oil is the local Advance Auto stocks it and it's reasonably priced. It has a good amount of zinc and phosphorus. I standardize on one oil for my Airhead to prevent the "build up" of partial containers of many different brands of oil. I choose to use dino in it for a few reasons. The bike doesn't get ridden a lot so it's changed prior to 3,000 miles, unlike oilheads this engine isn't so hard on oil, supposedly is less likely to seep past seals than synthetic.

Dang, thought this was about what was the drink of choice when trying to re-engineer your bike:scratch

Nevermind...

Dang, thought this was about what was the drink of choice when trying to re-engineer your bike:scratch

Nevermind...

Liquid brain enhancement. That sounds good. My current choices (beer, wine, whiskey) only give that impression--until they wear off of course. Then, I wonder what I was thinking.

Valvoline + Lucas

Valvoline 20W-50 motorcycle oil with 150cc/change of Lucas break in oil for a little ZDDP boost. I change my oil at about 3500 miles, and the filter is changed once per season.

Anyone who does different................ is not doing what I do. :drink

Back