• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

03 K1200 GT final drive vent

jeffd

20,000 miles on the clock. Redline 75W85 with Gaurd Dog moly treatment.

Noticed about a tablespoon or less of gear oil puddled on the rear rim after work yesterday. As best I could tell it came from the vent. Found an old post that said the oil can be flung up against the vent when it is cold and then push out as it warms up. Does this make hay or are there some other thoughts out there?

It was about 45??F yesterday with a 25 minute ride to work. I checked the oil level then rode home. No further emmisions from the vent. Drained and changed the oil to make sure it wasn't all frothed up from water. Oil was not milked but there was some black gunk on the drain plug. It looked more like some moly that fell out of suspension than metal. Didn't have any sparkle under a bright light and did not feel gritty at all.

Guess I am going to ride it and keep an eye on things. Sure would like to have some thoughts or suggestions on what's going on here.
Thanks,
Jeff

I can't say that is "normal" but can say that on a few occasions in many hundreds of thousands of miles it has happened to us.

Sometimes when cold. Sometimes when at altitude. A big bubble can cause it to burp. I'd watch it but not worry about it. Absent other symptoms it doesn't relate in my mind to any identifiable mechanical problem.

The rear final drive seal

has been known to fail, or at least leak. Watch this - in the case of my 2004 KGT it manifested itself by a slow drip that of course scattered oil all over the rear wheel. Doesn't take much oil leaking to make it look bad.:violin

Paul,
Thanks for the input. I am going to keep an eye on it. I wonder if a guy could come up with a vent that had an "anti-burp" configuration?

Beemer01,
That was my first though. One of those oh crap moments. A close inspection revealed it was the vent.

Thanks,
Jeff

Back