• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cordura jackets with waterproof inner jacket

knotbob

When the cordura jackets get wet I know the interior rain jacket will keep you dry but does the jacket get heavy when it's wet?
I'm looking at the Olympia 3 season jacket but I don't have any experience with this type of jacket. I always had leather and layering plus rain suits but I'm ready to join the modern world.
I'm not ready for the cost of goretex though.
Thanks,
Robb

I sometimes wear a Joe Rocket mesh with a liner. I just rode for five hours in rain and other than being aggravated I didn't notice any jacket issues. Of course, its mesh.

Jacket

I have an old BMW Commuter Jacket with the waterproof liner, it's a nice jacket and you stay dry, but it does get heavier when it gets wet. I just bought a new Klim Latitude Jacket which is gore tex and guaranteed waterproof on the outside so it doesn't get heavy, it also gives me the option of layering underneath based on the conditions. So far I like it very much, it's the best jacket I've ever owned. Good luck with your choice.

similar

I ride w a revit mesh suit in the summer. Great. It has an inner waterproof liner. The problem is not that the outer jacket gets wet. The problem is that you have to remove the jacket ( and pants) before you put in the waterproof, then replace the outer.

Depending on the mfg of your jacket you might need to treat the outer cordura for water repellency occasionally. As to Gore-tex , thare are different kinds & not always "waterproof",esp. with footwear .

Have gone thru some good downpours in my Olympia X-Moto jacket.

Liner kept me dry - no issues with jacket weight after a rain. :thumb

I have Olympia and Tourmaster mesh jackets and both have given good/dry protection when riding in the rain with the waterproof liner installed. Ride Safe

You can stay dry with a liner but the things are a real nuisance to put in and remove when compared to using external rain gear.
I use liners primarily as wind blockers in ciolder weather. For staying dry, external GorTex gear - except once in a wghile in our hot humd summers I simply choose to get soaked just to cool off- riding will dry you off in 10 min after the rain stops and as long as its only 30 min or so in a storm, riding wet is the best way to cool off.

Back