• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Well, here goes-'67 R69S

Rubbing is common when the damper comes loose. The damper is supposed to be screwed into the bottom eye. Sometimes they are a royal pain to remove. One of mine needed a large pipe wrench to do the job (which destroyed the damper).

As a result some owners have been known to lather the threads with anti-seize when putting the assembly back together. DONT DO THAT. The damper will unscrew and hammer the ends of the threads among other things. DAMHIK.

Cleaned the bottom eye/adjuster cam assy and brushed the threads clean on the shock body...it does screw together with some effort w/out the spring. I was hoping the threads were not hammered, they seem fine. And have to wonder how long it's been loose?
I'll wait and put it together since the top has to come out anyways.

wow, a year has passed since my last post...

Headed to pick up heavy parts and tins from paint removal "blasting" in San Antonio to move ahead with re-paint.

Got this on Friday. Thanks Vech and crew :thumb

PB240212.jpg

Opened crate this morning and had a happy moment. Wish I had the frame ready...but realizing this isn't a fast process with all other things going on...as I said it's been a year since I started.

Back