Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Well, here goes-'67 R69S

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    there were no remnants behind the housing nor any rub marks from it coming apart...maybe the original owner removed it ?
    That is how my R69S looked when I got it.. In spite of all the warnings on how the damper spring (that rubber bit) wears in no time I bought a damping mass, spring, and associated parts. The new "spring" lasted about 17K miles (about 8 years at the rate I put miles on the R69S). I replaced it because the damping mass moved easier on the spring than it had in the past.

The damper parts, new in 2001.

In 2009 it was time to replace the spring. New on the left, used on the right. I check the mass most every service (1200 intervals).

Would you care to get rid of that old solo seat?

Quote Originally Posted by rdubarton View Post
    Would you care to get rid of that old solo seat?
    If he does, watch for PMs. Thanks...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Removed the FD and preparing to remove swingarm assy.Of course my pin wrench is not stout enough to remove the pins.

The right shock fell out???, does it just rest on the spring? The upper section is threaded but I have not cleaned the lower part enough to see if it is supposed to be screwed together.
    It appears the shock tower rubbed the aluminum shock cover as well...normal?

Also set the shortblock out of the frame after removing the top end. Dropped the oilpan to see what kind of sludge had built up...how about very little in one of the grooves. Was expecting a lot more. But at 18K, maybe not long enough...which is good.

Helen rode in last night asking where did the bike go

After looking at the condition of frame finish, leaning toward a repaint, I couldn't compound some serious blemishes out and there are enough bare spots to change my desire to leave it original.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

You would think that the bottom and top portion of the shock would actually be secured to something in order for the motion to actually compress/extend the shock.

This is the parts breakdown:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&hg=33&fg=25

But as they say, these pictures can be poor representatives of actual bikes!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Rubbing is common when the damper comes loose. The damper is supposed to be screwed into the bottom eye. Sometimes they are a royal pain to remove. One of mine needed a large pipe wrench to do the job (which destroyed the damper).

As a result some owners have been known to lather the threads with anti-seize when putting the assembly back together. DONT DO THAT. The damper will unscrew and hammer the ends of the threads among other things. DAMHIK.

Cleaned the bottom eye/adjuster cam assy and brushed the threads clean on the shock body...it does screw together with some effort w/out the spring. I was hoping the threads were not hammered, they seem fine. And have to wonder how long it's been loose?
    I'll wait and put it together since the top has to come out anyways.
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

wow, a year has passed since my last post...

Headed to pick up heavy parts and tins from paint removal "blasting" in San Antonio to move ahead with re-paint.

Got this on Friday. Thanks Vech and crew

PB240212.jpg

Opened crate this morning and had a happy moment. Wish I had the frame ready...but realizing this isn't a fast process with all other things going on...as I said it's been a year since I started.
    Steve Henson