• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

My first earthquake....

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Centered in York county Maine, there was an earthquake here in the Northeast. From what I hear, it was a 4.0 in Maine. I felt it down here but didn't realize it was an earthquake. It sounded sorta like a large 4 engine prop plane passing over low on it's way to an abrupt stop or perhaps a 1 second burst of 60 mph storm winds.
It was dark so I will look around when it gets light out to see if anything is out of place. :brad OM

Quake, Rattle and Roll....

I'm about 20 miles from the epicenter, it was quite an experience. I thought a jet was coming down in my backyard or the furnace was exploding. My bike was in the shed in my driveway on it's center stand, but fortunately it didn't knock it off the stand.

Practice! Practice! Practice!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LP57C0LITrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Centered in York county Maine, there was an earthquake here in the Northeast. From what I hear, it was a 4.0 in Maine. I felt it down here but didn't realize it was an earthquake. It sounded sorta like a large 4 engine prop plane passing over low on it's way to an abrupt stop or perhaps a 1 second burst of 60 mph storm winds.
It was dark so I will look around when it gets light out to see if anything is out of place. :brad OM

I hope your damage assessment showed no damage? You know, here in California a 4.0 is not too uncommon? The 7.1 magnitude 1989 Loma Prieta quake epicenter was a mile from my house. Pretty much sounded like your description except the 4 engine prop plane hit the house.

I hope your damage assessment showed no damage? You know, here in California a 4.0 is not too uncommon? The 7.1 magnitude 1989 Loma Prieta quake epicenter was a mile from my house. Pretty much sounded like your description except the 4 engine prop plane hit the house.

I remember that. Got to watch the ground roll during the after shocks. How is the area now. Is Tiny's Restaurant still in the area? I liked eating there.

A point 4 is just a drop in the bucket. As someone who lived in S. California for over 40 years, you learn that a real earthquake causes freeways to come down, not just some broken windows.

Hah, I was in Maine when the earthquake hit DC, and in DC when the earthquake hit Maine. They should pay me to live in San Fran :brad

A point 4 is just a drop in the bucket. As someone who lived in S. California for over 40 years, you learn that a real earthquake causes freeways to come down, not just some broken windows.

LOL. Has to be at least a 6.

Dee
Native Californian, now living in the oh so dull, earthquake-less PNW.

OM --

Yeah. We even felt it out here in western MA. Lasted about 5 seconds or so. Dog felt it before we did. Glass curio cabinet started rattling.

We were in the SF area a number of years ago when a 5.8 hit. It felt A LOT different than the other night!

Thanks Jerry

When Jerry Brown was re-elected as Governor a few years ago, one of the things he wanted to do was give people in other states a better opinion of California.

He said it wasn't right that California had almost a monopoly on earthquakes in this country, He is now allowing other states to enjoy them.

For those who have recently experienced one, please send a Thank you to Jerry Brown,
Sacramento, California.

When Jerry Brown was re-elected as Governor a few years ago, one of the things he wanted to do was give people in other states a better opinion of California.

He said it wasn't right that California had almost a monopoly on earthquakes in this country, He is now allowing other states to enjoy them.

For those who have recently experienced one, please send a Thank you to Jerry Brown,
Sacramento, California.

I would rather send Jerry Brown to them and just keep the Earthquakes!!! ;)

My second earthquake.
Today at about 09:10 est, 4.2 nine miles off the coast of New Bedford Mass.
pretty fair rumble.
OM

Back