• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Oil low: 2005 R1150RT-P

F

FMaxwell

Hello all. I purchased a 2005 R1150RT-P with 11K miles on it. I bought the BMW to replace a Ural that was totaled on 8/31 when a young driver turned in front of me.

Unfortunately, the accident left me with a fractured collarbone which was repaired with a plate, so I put off getting the BMW on the center stand (using just my left hand) to check the oil until today, 700 miles later.

The oil did not show in the sight glass. I added one full quart (Red Line 20W50 motorcycle oil) and that put it just above the center line of the sight glass.

Oil light never came on. Oil temperature was normal. Bike ran fine. Still seems fine, though a tiny bit quieter (as I'd expect after adding a quart of oil). I'm guessing that everything is fine, but I'd feel better if I heard from anyone with similar "oops" experiences.

please do yourself a favor and do a search on the best procedure to correctly read the oil level. you may well have over-filled it, possilby by enough to require some removal
then again, it might be fine. but the methodolgy needed is different on these bikes from others.

To save you some time, ride the bike to get it nice and warm, a good 20 mins or so, then put it on the center stand and read the oil level after a few minutes. The longer you wait, the higher the level goes as it drains down. I usually read the level after I'm done filling up with gas.

If you were truly that low, that low level warning should have come on. Mine comes on when I'm about at the 1/3 level on the sight glass. I have an R12RT, so I admit I don't know how the low oil warning works on an 1150.

Still, I doubt you did any harm if it was low, or at least not any immediate harm.

'05 1150 does not have a low oil warning function. Just the red light if pressure is lost or drops very low.

The drill is to wait till oil has drained down before checking it. It can take a while. Some folks put it on the side stand for a little while, then on the center stand.

If you have a willing assistant the center stand isn't needed. Just sit on the bike anbd have that willing assistant get down and look at the sight glass.

It is unlikely you did any damage. You didn't lose oil pressure. I wouldn't recommend running a quart low but it is not likely to do any harm inless you are stuck in traffic in very hot weather and the oil breaks down.

Thanks!

I got home after a 1/2 hour ride, put the bike on the side stand as I took off my gear, shut the engine off, waited a couple of minutes, put it on the center stand, and went in the house. I came out about 15 minutes later to check the level and added oil. Started it, ran it for a few minutes, and then shut it down. Checked back in about 1/2 hour and oil was in the middle of the sight glass again.

Compared to checking the oil level in my Rotax-powered Buell 1125CR, the BMW is simple.

I'll probably change out the oil this weekend and use up my Mobil 1 V-Twin two quarts along with some Spectro or Motul synthetic MC oils. I need to use up the odd lots I've collected, which are all top-notch oils. Since the BMW is a lot less picky about oils than my Buells, it seems like a good way to freshen the oil while letting me use up the unopened remainder quarts of oil.

leave it on the sidestand for about 10-15 minutes before moving it onto the c-stand. oil needs to drain out of the cooler and lines, and that does not happen immediately. too quick a move and you could easily be overfilling it.

leave it on the sidestand for about 10-15 minutes before moving it onto the c-stand. oil needs to drain out of the cooler and lines, and that does not happen immediately. too quick a move and you could easily be overfilling it.

Thanks. Checked it this morning before leaving for work and it was just over 1/2 way up the sight glass -- just like last night.

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the oil does not drain out of the cooler and lines when the bike is on the center stand?

Can't I just come home, put it on the center stand and then check the level after I have dinner or in the morning before I take the bike out?

I'll feel better when I put in fresh synthetic oil this weekend.

When it comes to checking oil, you'll find a lot of magic involved. Try it both ways and see if there is a difference. I bet you find a 5 minute drain on the center stand gives you about the same reading as any other method. Certainly close enough to know if you are in the window.

My RT will vary quite a bit. When cold, overnight, the window is full (can't see the oil--over the top). Ride it and look immediately, it's below half. Wait 5 mins, it's about 1/2 to 3/4, overnight, back over the top again.

Don't turn it into a complicated process and it will be fine. Measure it hot, after a few minute drain down period, shoot for the center to mid top of the window, and you'll be fine.

Hey, at least you found out your low oil sensor isn't broken!

Why has no one mentioned the special tool, DVD of the proper checking procedure, or the training course for the "willing assistant" ?

Yes, I'm kidding. :D

I think I should be fine just parking on the center stand in the evening and checking the oil in the morning before heading out again.

Now if you guys want to see an ugly oil check procedure, here's the official Buell procedure for a hot oil level check on their 1125R and 1125CR bikes:

Oil Level Hot Check
Perform engine oil HOT CHECK as follows:

1. Ride motorcycle for approximately 10 minutes. Ride at
least 5 miles (8 kilometers) to ensure the oil is hot and
the engine is at normal operating temperature. Readings
taken with colder oil could lead to an overfull engine condition.

2. Stand the motorcycle upright (not leaning on sidestand)
on a firm level surface. An uneven surface will produce a
false oil reading.

3. Idle the motorcycle for three minutes. Shut off the motorcycle.

4. See Figure 1. Loosen the dipstick.

5. Wait for 3-4 minutes after shutdown (with vehicle still
upright) before reading the oil level, or false readings
may result.

6. Unscrew and remove dipstick from oil filler hole. Wipe
dipstick clean.

7. Insert dipstick into oil filler hole, screwing dipstick in
completely.

8. See Figure 2. Unscrew and remove dipstick and note oil
level. An indicated oil level between MIN and MAX (measured
after performing steps 1 through 7) is acceptable
for safe engine operation. Oil should be added in 3.4 fl.
oz. (0.1 L) increments, depending on how far the level is
from the MAX reading. Confirm oil level by repeating
steps 1 through 8.

NOTE
If the oil level is at (or above) the OVERFULL mark, drain oil
at 6.8 fl. oz. (0.2 L) increments until the oil level is between
the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick. Repeat steps 1
though 8 to confirm proper level.

9. Hand tighten dipstick into oil filler hole.

As written, it looks like you have a one minute window in which to make the reading. I own an 1125CR, so compared to that, the BMW R1150RT-P procedure is a joy.

Thanks. Checked it this morning before leaving for work and it was just over 1/2 way up the sight glass -- just like last night.

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the oil does not drain out of the cooler and lines when the bike is on the center stand? yeah, pretty much.

Can't I just come home, put it on the center stand and then check the level after I have dinner or in the morning before I take the bike out? as long as you're willing to ignore the oil left in the cooler and associated lines, that is a fine procedure.

I'll feel better when I put in fresh synthetic oil this weekend.

may i suggest that you run an experiment?
try it your c-stand only method one day, and then the next, take it out for your normal ride, and do the side-stand/center-stand dance (at least 10 mins on sidestand) and check in the morning on c-stand. if there's a disparty in level, you will know that it was your reading procedure that caused the variations.

may i suggest that you run an experiment?
try it your c-stand only method one day, and then the next, take it out for your normal ride, and do the side-stand/center-stand dance (at least 10 mins on sidestand) and check in the morning on c-stand. if there's a disparty in level, you will know that it was your reading procedure that caused the variations.

I'll do that and report back. Not real quickly, but before too long. Trying to take it easy until the surgeon who put the plate on my clavicle gives me a green light to resume normal activities.

Great idea. I'd like to hear your results.

Funny thing is I kinda follow this procedure on my RT because I fill the bike with gas on the side stand, then pop it on the center stand to check the level. But I'd still like to see how much of a difference you see with the two methods.

I have an RTP one year older than yours. Oil readings can fluctuate wildly, or remain constant, even with the same shutdown and check routine being followed. Usually, draining on the sidestand for 5 minutes, then placing on centerstand (or vertical with a rider), results in an accurate reading. But I can go for days with almost no oil showing in the glass, but then it will read halfway up the glass a few days later.

I have an RTP one year older than yours. Oil readings can fluctuate wildly, or remain constant, even with the same shutdown and check routine being followed. Usually, draining on the sidestand for 5 minutes, then placing on centerstand (or vertical with a rider), results in an accurate reading. But I can go for days with almost no oil showing in the glass, but then it will read halfway up the glass a few days later.

Well, I'm not surprised when you have the primitive 2004 model rather than the cutting edge 2005 bike I have. :D

I'm hoping that I can come up with a method that allows me to go to bed at night and then get an accurate reading in the morning. I don't know if BMW engineers were hoping that the oil was in the cooler and lines, or had drained down into the crankcase, when reading the oil level.

But, make sure you do as the MOM describes. For example, on the R12RT, you check it hot, after it has sat a few minutes. The next day, drain down will make it look too high.

You really don't need to make this a more complicated procedure than it is. People really do fret over this kind of thing much more than is called for.

But, make sure you do as the MOM describes. For example, on the R12RT, you check it hot, after it has sat a few minutes. The next day, drain down will make it look too high.

You really don't need to make this a more complicated procedure than it is. People really do fret over this kind of thing much more than is called for.

except that when you keep adding oil because you are checking it wrong and then you drain a bunch out the back of the airbox. No wonder my bike started smoking on morning start ups.

My bike likes the sidestand dance and like the oil in the center of the glass. It doesn't like to be checked at a gas stop. It likes at least fifteen minutes on the sidestand and overnight in the garage on the center stand for repeatable results

I'm just saying that my R12 and my buddy's R1150 just don't do that. They behave as described. I'm not saying you're wrong, but just that I've not seen it happen. Ours do sit on the sidestand for the gas fill, and that's it. Sure, drain down increases the level in the window, but never had overfilling be a problem.

When I first got my bike, I was keeping the oil level above 3/4 up the sight glass and adding oil when it reached the middle of the glass. I would put the bike on the center stand when I shut it down hot and would check the oil level after 10 minutes or the next time I rode the bike. I was adding a bit of oil every few hundered miles and was getting blue smoke on cold start ups. When I started reading up on the subject and found the instructions to put the bike on the side stand for five minutes or more after getting it good and warm (5 bars on the temp gauge) and then putting it on the center stand, I found that I had been running the oil level above the top of the glass. That was at the same time that I found the drain plug at the back of the airbox and drained about a cup of oil from it.

In playing with my bike, I have found that I get the most repeatable results by parking it for at least fifteen minutes on the sidestand after riding long enough to get to 5 or 6 bars on the oil temp. After that, I push it into the garage and put it on the center stand for the night. I check it before the next ride. I also found that by keeping the oil half way up the glass, I have very little oil consumption. I usually hit the bottom of the site glass about the same time I am due for an oil change. If I check the oil at a gas stop, I leave it on the side stand and as long as i see some oil on the glass after a few minutes, I don't give it another thought.

My worst overfill was on my first highway ride with the bike. I ran 150 miles and stopped to fill up, putting the bike on the center stand. After that, I pushed it to a parking spot a few feet away and put it on the side stand stand. It sat for about 15 minutes while I grabbed something to eat. I put it back on the center stand to check the oil before getting back on the road and saw no oil in the sight glass. When I tipped the bkie to the side, I could see the oil start to come up the glass. I added half a quart of oil to get it above halfway on the glass and got back on the road. After reaching my destination, I parked it on the side stand for the night. In the morning, I put it on the center stand and the oil level was over the top of the glass. I had to tip the bike to the right just to get the oil level to dip to the top of the glass. When I drained oil out to get the level back to the 3/4 point, I took out more that I had just added. That was when I realized something was up and started searching these forums for an answer. I found that it was a pretty popular topic.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=703293&highlight=drain#post703293

The post that put me on the right path
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=727818#post727818

In playing with my bike, I have found that I get the most repeatable results by parking it for at least fifteen minutes on the sidestand after riding long enough to get to 5 or 6 bars on the oil temp. After that, I push it into the garage and put it on the center stand for the night. I check it before the next ride. I also found that by keeping the oil half way up the glass, I have very little oil consumption. I usually hit the bottom of the site glass about the same time I am due for an oil change. If I check the oil at a gas stop, I leave it on the side stand and as long as i see some oil on the glass after a few minutes, I don't give it another thought.

dead-on accurate. :thumb

Back