• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking of a F800S (2007)

iMav

Have the opportunity to trade my 2004 Triumph Thruxton straight up for a 2007 BMW F800S.

No particular reason to make the trade other then looking for a different toy (my main scoot is an R1200RT).

Any particular issues to be aware of with this bike (the 2007 F800S, that is)? Have they been pretty reliable? What is the overall consensus from those that have owned them here?

I had an 07 800S and put 93,000 miles on it before an Ohlins shock which I put on at 67,000 miles broke and punctured the gas tank and was going to cost $3200 to fix so traded it for an 800ST which I have since traded for a G650GS. The 800S was trouble free, a couple batteries since the first 2 only lasted a year. I think an idle control sensor and a new belt which I did at 49,000 miles but didn't really need. I had the Dealer check the valves every 12,000 miles and they never did need adjusted. The cush bearings were also replaced and I can't really think of anything else. It was a really comfortable bike and I did a thousand mile day on it plus several other 700 mile plus day rides. I kept track of the gas mileage through 92,000 miles and it averaged right at 59 mpg; even at 80 mph it would get 50 mpg. I miss the bike as the 800ST never did run as well and I had the fuel pump replaced ($720) and I only had a year and 23,000 miles.

Voni is at 86,000 or so miles on her '07 F800S. There have been two issues.

1. The rear axle tube is too soft. Eventually they hammer a little and get loose inside the bearings. The '08 and later models had a different axle tube.

2. The stator failed on her bike. I installed an aftermarket stator and it has worked fine for 25,000 or so miles now.

Voni is at 86,000 or so miles on her '07 F800S. There have been two issues.

1. The rear axle tube is too soft. Eventually they hammer a little and get loose inside the bearings. The '08 and later models had a different axle tube.

2. The stator failed on her bike. I installed an aftermarket stator and it has worked fine for 25,000 or so miles now.

So, if the rear axle is still original and unserviced, that is a problem waiting to happen on an '07, correct?

2007 BMW F800st

My 2007 BMW F800st has had a few issues which have often made me wonder if I made the right decision. I bought the bike with 11,590 miles, 3 years ago this January. My issues have been:
1. TPM sensors have low batteries and come on every now and then even though the tires are at the correct pressure.
2. Fork seals started leaking at 20,500 miles and were replaced.
3. The ABS pump went out at 18,900 and was replaced.
4. Front ABS sensor wire was bad and replaced.

I do love the fuel economy (Averaged 50-58 mpg on long trips) and the twin cylinder keeps up with my brothers 2005 VFR 800 with no issues. Lately I've been looking at triumphs and selling my F800st. The new Triumph Trophys look real nice and I LOVE the sound of Triumphs. Hope this helps.

I am currently in the market for an ST for my wife. Is there any way, other than documented service records, to know if the rear axle/bearings have been replaced?
Was there a build date that the change was made to harder(or tighter tolerance) axles?
And am I correct in figuring about $700 in parts should this issue arise?

I am currently in the market for an ST for my wife. Is there any way, other than documented service records, to know if the rear axle/bearings have been replaced?
Was there a build date that the change was made to harder(or tighter tolerance) axles?

The two types of axle tube are visually different. The early, failure prone tubes had the ends of the splines visible where the wheel flange (that the wheel bolts to) meets the axle tube. The revised axle tube has what looks more like a heavy flange at the end and the splines are not cisible. To see this best the wheel needs to be removed.

The two types of axle tube are visually different. The early, failure prone tubes had the ends of the splines visible where the wheel flange (that the wheel bolts to) meets the axle tube. The revised axle tube has what looks more like a heavy flange at the end and the splines are not cisible. To see this best the wheel needs to be removed. If you can see the splines it is the early type tube.

The typical problem has not been the bearings. It is that the tube material seems to be too soft and deforms. This causes the tube to be loose inside the inner races of the bearings.

Back