Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any help for pain in my back?

If we have to talk about oil for back pain then I vote for synthetic Ben Gay in the blue tube.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Voltaren Gel/diclofenac sodium

Try Voltaren Gel, which is a topical analgesic, kinda like rubbing ibuprofen on the affected area. It is only by doctor scrip, but the cost for a 100g tube is about $15. On my last trip, I applied it daily to parts that hurt and it made the ride much more comfortable. And, no side effects that come with taking mega doses of naproxen, ibuprofen or any other NSAIDs. It is available on the shelf overseas.

http://www.voltarengel.com/consumer/...ren.aspx:thumb

I found that I had that pain more in winter riding than summer. I have figured it out for me it has to so with things bunching up behind my neck. Whatever winter gear I have on will push against the back of the helmet and force me to use some low amount of effort to push helmet back. After 45 minutes my shoulder blades are on fire so to speak. Again, for me I am riding in a more forward position with low bars on a K12RS.

I have modified my gear so that I try to keep very little on the back of the neck and am careful with the collar, scarf, balaclava,and back of helmet. If I get it wrong I have to stop and fix it as the pain becomes so distracting. If it get it right, other things will hurt during the day before my shoulder blades do.

Good luck getting yours figured out and let us know what you find.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

If we have to talk about oil for back pain then I vote for synthetic Ben Gay in the blue tube.
    I was introduced to this unequaled product in high school wrestling, circa 1968. But you'd better be really hurtin' when you use it. I'd spend the money on barbacks, just so I wouldn't have to use this balm...

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    I was introduced to this unequaled product in high school wrestling, circa 1968. But you'd better be really hurtin' when you use it. I'd spend the money on barbacks, just so I wouldn't have to use this balm...

There are some places you really wouldn't want to get this stuff on.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

I am back home after 15 days and 7000 miles. Man, the last four days were tough. I had some level of pain the entire ride home from Sacramento. I found that squirming around, twisting, stretching, sitting bolt upright helped me get through it. Never did completely get rid of it but helped. Barring some abnormal vertebrae issue I am sure it has to do with posture or lack thereof. I find myself naturally riding somewhat slumped, leaning forward, arms bent and relaxed. When I get on the bike this is what feels right and natural. Now, riding home the other night I got some relief sitting absolutely straight, but this causes me to reach for the handgrips and it is hard to sustain this posture. So, I guess I will try some barbacks. Anyone have recommendations where to buy?

Thanks

Some other suggestions would be doing some exercises to strengthen the back and torso. Make a concerted effort to practice good posture. I know; its easier said than done.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by royaltyl View Post
    I find myself naturally riding somewhat slumped, leaning forward, arms bent and relaxed. When I get on the bike this is what feels right and natural.
    I can't believe this thread has gotten this far without any mention of the Master Yoda Riding Position. That original description is a little tough to wade through, but has been helpful to many riders in pain. It sounds like your "natural" position is pretty close - maybe just arch back a bit more and use your legs a bit to provide support. Using leg muscles to sit may seem weird, but they are probably the strongest muscles you have and are easily trained.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I've had a bad back since I crushed 5 vertebra in a car accident in 1968 (doctors were shocked that I could still walk). On the advice of my doctor, before I ride, I take one generic Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and 2 generic Aleve(Naproxen). By taking the medicine before I ride, I find that my back seldom hurts during the ride. After some research, I found a lot of the expensive medicines use a similar combination. I also frequently take generic prescription Ultram (Tramadol) with the above medications (also on the advice of my doctor).

I have spent the last 44 years trying different things to help my back pain and the above combination has worked better than anything else I have tried. I really appreciate my attractive doctor who happens to be my neighbor and the daughter of a high school classmate.
    Your "attractive Doc" really makes me mad! My Cardiologist is old & bald, My Pulmonologist is not handsome,back doc is just plain old & my kidney doc left town...
    Anybody that's up all night to have a machine that runs "will" have a back pain or at least lets just call it a pain in the xxx!

+1 on the aleve one or two tablets before a long ride works wonders
    As a note I would not use it every day, only on riding days

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Your "attractive Doc" really makes me mad! My Cardiologist is old & bald, My Pulmonologist is not handsome,back doc is just plain old & my kidney doc left town...
    Anybody that's up all night to have a machine that runs "will" have a back pain or at least lets just call it a pain in the xxx!
    I decided to get a young doctor because I had three old guys retire on me over the years. That she is pretty is a bonus. When some of my old friends tease me about having a lady doctor, I remind them that women have smaller fingers.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    There are some places you really wouldn't want to get this stuff on.
    Sounds like somebody got to somebodies jock strap(once upon a time)?

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I decided to get a young doctor because I had three old guys retire on me over the years. That she is pretty is a bonus. When some of my old friends tease me about having a lady doctor, I remind them that women have smaller fingers.
    In all seriousness, I go to a local PA when I need "regular stuff" like blood drawn,etc., & she is young & cute as a bugs butt! FWIW, Went to school with my two youngest. We were talking about the various check-up/tests they recc. these days & talk gravitated to a "digital exam" which they don't do now days & she was saying she has been able to help one guy via the PSA test so she "believes in it" but went on to say, "look at my little hands", I coyuldn't do a digital if it was called for!"

As to Aleve & ibuprofen-go easy as they are not kind to your kidneys! Back pain-"McKenzie #3" is my standby!

What is "McKenzie #3"?

K75RT Keith
    At the national rally I sat in on a lecture where they discussed how hand position changes elbow and shoulder position and how they effect riding comfort. Try setting your hands on the grips and point your fingers towards the headlight then relax your elbows and shoulders. For me, it helps extend my time between breaks. I have the same problem and it must be related to the weight of my jacket and a heavy helmet.
    Last edited by KKELLER149854; 10-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.