• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any help for pain in my back?

I wouldn't recommend switching to synthetic. It will find a way to seep through older seals that have no problems keeping normal oil.

Once the seep starts, one has to begin replacing seals.

Jim

I don't you have to replace the seals. I tried synthetic in both an older K bike and an older Airhead. They both started seeping but both stopped when I went back to conventional oil. I sold the K bike but I have still have the airhead and it has been 13 or 14 years since I went back to conventional (and no seeps).

Here are a few things I've found that help me.
(1) Go through a routine of back exercises before a long ride.
(2) Stop at regular intervals and stretch.
(3) Make sure your posture is good. Wearing a cheap over the counter back brace will help with this.
(4) Two Aleve will help the inflammation and pain, but they are not so good on the kidneys when used too regularly.
(5) I’ve gone to a chiropractor in the past, but I won’t go to one unless I have good reason to trust their ability. So, I usually end up going after the trip, if necessary.
(6) If necessary, losing a few pounds - get in better physical shape.

E.

I don't you have to replace the seals. I tried synthetic in both an older K bike and an older Airhead. They both started seeping but both stopped when I went back to conventional oil. I sold the K bike but I have still have the airhead and it has been 13 or 14 years since I went back to conventional (and no seeps).

Once oil seeps through a seal, you're screwed. Even switching back to conventional oil will not prevent this.

If you're bike requires synthetic, (K1600, etc) then please stick with synthetic. If not, all the BMW techs I've seen say it makes no difference to engine life if you run synthetic.

On a bike that's over 4 or so years old, switching to Synthetic may not be such a wise idea.

Jim

I'd be cautious about switching to syn on machines originally made when it wasn't in common use but for the last decade its a non-issue. Never seen a seal leak on a more modern machine because of the switch- which is done by many RT owners when the bike is fully broken in- often at around 10-20K miles. (Wouldn't do on an airhead, though)

The bike will crank a bit better in the cold without that 20-50 dino juice. And get an Odyssey PC-680, the best reasonably priced battery for the hexhead/camhead RT.

The shoulder blade pain is sometimes caused by being too tense on the grips rather than relaxed, Do that plus carry too much weight on your hands and you're asking for troubles.
Posture and relaxed grip are the fixes..

A thread about back pain has insidiously transformed itself into an oil thread. How the heck did that happen?

A thread about back pain has insidiously transformed itself into an oil thread. How the heck did that happen?

When you get a message for the back pain, some oil is used in the procedure, so it is a proper extension of the original topic. Besides, stressing over oil being too thin, too synthetic, wrong rating etc. will cause back pain. And headaches. And probably impotence. Very logical. :ha

I had the same "Knife Between The Shoulder Blades" syndrome after I bought my R1150R. The bike came with barbacks installed, and those combined with my long arms pushed me too far back thus causing the "KBTSB" problem. I took off the barbacks and have been just fine.
Just modify the bike to fit you, it is easier than modifying yourself to fit the bike!

All threads eventually will devolve into oil and/or battery threads. Those are the only topics BMW owners are really comfortable discussing.

When you installed the aftermarket seat, I'll bet you raised the seating position by maybe an inch. With the same handlebar position you now lean slightly more forward. To keep your eyes level with the horizon you tilt your head ever-so-slightly back. That can cause stingers at the base of the neck. I have this problem when I ride any of Voni's bikes any distance at all. On my R1150R I had to install bar risers - up 1 inch, back 1/4 inch - to eliminate the issue.

Voltaren Gel/diclofenac sodium

Try Voltaren Gel, which is a topical analgesic, kinda like rubbing ibuprofen on the affected area. It is only by doctor scrip, but the cost for a 100g tube is about $15. On my last trip, I applied it daily to parts that hurt and it made the ride much more comfortable. And, no side effects that come with taking mega doses of naproxen, ibuprofen or any other NSAIDs. It is available on the shelf overseas.

http://www.voltarengel.com/consumer/about_voltaren.aspx:thumb

I found that I had that pain more in winter riding than summer. I have figured it out for me it has to so with things bunching up behind my neck. Whatever winter gear I have on will push against the back of the helmet and force me to use some low amount of effort to push helmet back. After 45 minutes my shoulder blades are on fire so to speak. Again, for me I am riding in a more forward position with low bars on a K12RS.

I have modified my gear so that I try to keep very little on the back of the neck and am careful with the collar, scarf, balaclava,and back of helmet. If I get it wrong I have to stop and fix it as the pain becomes so distracting. If it get it right, other things will hurt during the day before my shoulder blades do.

Good luck getting yours figured out and let us know what you find.

NCS

If we have to talk about oil for back pain then I vote for synthetic Ben Gay in the blue tube.

I was introduced to this unequaled product in high school wrestling, circa 1968. But you'd better be really hurtin' when you use it. I'd spend the money on barbacks, just so I wouldn't have to use this balm...

cr015522.jpg

I was introduced to this unequaled product in high school wrestling, circa 1968. But you'd better be really hurtin' when you use it. I'd spend the money on barbacks, just so I wouldn't have to use this balm...

cr015522.jpg

There are some places you really wouldn't want to get this stuff on.

I am back home after 15 days and 7000 miles. Man, the last four days were tough. I had some level of pain the entire ride home from Sacramento. I found that squirming around, twisting, stretching, sitting bolt upright helped me get through it. Never did completely get rid of it but helped. Barring some abnormal vertebrae issue I am sure it has to do with posture or lack thereof. I find myself naturally riding somewhat slumped, leaning forward, arms bent and relaxed. When I get on the bike this is what feels right and natural. Now, riding home the other night I got some relief sitting absolutely straight, but this causes me to reach for the handgrips and it is hard to sustain this posture. So, I guess I will try some barbacks. Anyone have recommendations where to buy?

Thanks

Some other suggestions would be doing some exercises to strengthen the back and torso. Make a concerted effort to practice good posture. I know; its easier said than done.

I find myself naturally riding somewhat slumped, leaning forward, arms bent and relaxed. When I get on the bike this is what feels right and natural.

I can't believe this thread has gotten this far without any mention of the Master Yoda Riding Position. That original description is a little tough to wade through, but has been helpful to many riders in pain. It sounds like your "natural" position is pretty close - maybe just arch back a bit more and use your legs a bit to provide support. Using leg muscles to sit may seem weird, but they are probably the strongest muscles you have and are easily trained.

Larry

I've had a bad back since I crushed 5 vertebra in a car accident in 1968 (doctors were shocked that I could still walk). On the advice of my doctor, before I ride, I take one generic Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and 2 generic Aleve(Naproxen). By taking the medicine before I ride, I find that my back seldom hurts during the ride. After some research, I found a lot of the expensive medicines use a similar combination. I also frequently take generic prescription Ultram (Tramadol) with the above medications (also on the advice of my doctor).

I have spent the last 44 years trying different things to help my back pain and the above combination has worked better than anything else I have tried. I really appreciate my attractive doctor who happens to be my neighbor and the daughter of a high school classmate.
Your "attractive Doc" really makes me mad! My Cardiologist is old & bald, My Pulmonologist is not handsome,back doc is just plain old & my kidney doc left town...:banghead
Anybody that's up all night to have a machine that runs "will" have a back pain or at least lets just call it a pain in the xxx!

+1 on the aleve one or two tablets before a long ride works wonders
As a note I would not use it every day, only on riding days

Back