• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any help for pain in my back?

Your "attractive Doc" really makes me mad! My Cardiologist is old & bald, My Pulmonologist is not handsome,back doc is just plain old & my kidney doc left town...:banghead
Anybody that's up all night to have a machine that runs "will" have a back pain or at least lets just call it a pain in the xxx!

I decided to get a young doctor because I had three old guys retire on me over the years. That she is pretty is a bonus. When some of my old friends tease me about having a lady doctor, I remind them that women have smaller fingers.

I decided to get a young doctor because I had three old guys retire on me over the years. That she is pretty is a bonus. When some of my old friends tease me about having a lady doctor, I remind them that women have smaller fingers.
In all seriousness, I go to a local PA when I need "regular stuff" like blood drawn,etc., & she is young & cute as a bugs butt! FWIW, Went to school with my two youngest. We were talking about the various check-up/tests they recc. these days & talk gravitated to a "digital exam" which they don't do now days & she was saying she has been able to help one guy via the PSA test so she "believes in it" but went on to say, "look at my little hands", I coyuldn't do a digital if it was called for!":dunno

As to Aleve & ibuprofen-go easy as they are not kind to your kidneys! Back pain-"McKenzie #3" is my standby!

At the national rally I sat in on a lecture where they discussed how hand position changes elbow and shoulder position and how they effect riding comfort. Try setting your hands on the grips and point your fingers towards the headlight then relax your elbows and shoulders. For me, it helps extend my time between breaks. I have the same problem and it must be related to the weight of my jacket and a heavy helmet.

Last edited:
I have a Snell-certified Shoei full-face helmet. Being a Snell helmet I am sure it is heavier than other, less-substantial helmets. I was talking to a friend of mine, yesterday, whose wife is a chiropractor and who seems to know a little about the neck and spine. He said that the weight of the helmet along with one's head can cause dislocations in the vertebrae, pinching nerves, exciting muscles to spasm, etc. Once it starts it is self-perpetuating and needs intervention to stop-like getting off the bike and resting. Or a visit to a chiropractor. I did order some Suburban Machine bar risers. I noticed after reading the MYRP treatise that my arms were sloping downward to the grips and I know the new Russel saddle sits a bit higher than the stock saddle. My preferred posture is close to the MYRP except for the interaction of my leg muscles. That will take some work to adopt. The risers will help, but I doubt if they are the complete answer to my pain issue. I was 11 days on the road before it really became a serious problem.

Thanks.

cr015522.jpg

There are some places you really wouldn't want to get this stuff on.

Yes, indeed there are. And that's exactly how I was introduced to it. High school aged boys have such a sense of humor...

What is "McKenzie #3"?

Google McKenzie therapy. He is/was a physiotherapist from New Zealand that developed back treatments that you do for yourself , rather than the Chiro "get fixed" approach. #3 is pretty much the same as the yoga "Cobra" but I'm weakly informed on yoga even though I use some of it. FWIW, most PT's in the world know McKenzie stuff & use it. Another excellent resource is the book-" Back Rx", which also has a regimen for self back conditioning that varies in intensity depending on the "condition" your condition is in,ha! I'm currently having a revisit of sciatica(hoped to never see it again!!!!!!!!!!!!) and the #3 is my BEST FRIEND! I honestly thought my back was fully recovered from about 14 months ago but the damage is done & I must respect the frailty of my spine. I do this back stuff every day. Riding a M/C does not seem to bother me as much as sitting here typing.
Oh, I did the "deep tissue" massage last year with the elbow thing going on and it liked to kill me!

...go through a routine of back exercises....easy

Core strength is just critical for riding, as the most common cause of back pain is muscle strain.

I recently spoke with the head physio at our fitness centre about its core conditioning machines (there are a number of different ones), and she said that while they work fine for the outer core, specialized exercise techniques, some of which involve the use of Swiss Balls and foam rollers, are necessary to work the inner core muscles.

The goal is to get the major back muscle groups, conditioned.

Last edited:
Find a good Chiropractor!

+1 to a good chiropractor. Before one cured my back pain I was a non-believer.

I have also found that a lumbar support belt helps. My belt is a BMW belt. I don't know if it is still available but you can find other brands. I really helps for a long ride.

I used to think chiros were a good choice for the lower back pain I've dealt with(off & on) since mid 20's. Most these days seem to be selling machine time at large doses of $$$ & when it comes to manipulation it seems they are lawyered up & reluctant to do much of the stuff that "fixed me"(to a certain extent) in the past. Manipulation just isn't what it was in the past. Also, OD's used to do manipulation but not any I know of now as most in family/general practice & will not do it or don't know how nowdays?
The guy I went to in KS had clients like Bo Jackson,George Brett,etc., that tells you something,huh? My past 2 I've used don't serve me as well as good PT advice & specific self stretching & exercise for back issues. I say save your money & time & do it to your self! I honestly have achived more with things I've mentioned vs. many chiro visits. I will say that many "modern" chiros seem to have become more in touch with PT as a mode of treatment/recovery.

Back