• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Believe it or not: 9th time my 05 GS is broken in half for leaking seals

espressoforyou

I know that some of you think I must be making this up. But I just dropped my bike off at Bloodworth again for another leaking seal. This will be the 9th time my bike will be broken in half. Little Rock BMW did the repair work four times and Bloodworth BMW in Nashville the other four repairs.

Recap for new followers of the saga of the problems that I have had with my bike:

Recap of repair history:

Eight Compensating Shaft (Counterbalance Shaft) seals.
Five Transmissions Input Shaft Seals.
Two clutch plates and the clutch is making a funny noise and is now slipping.
Two clutch cylinders
Two Drive shaft seals
Five engine output seals
Replaced counterbalance shaft bearing and actual counterbalance.

The bike has been broken in half 8 times and is about to be broken in half for the 9th time to replace a leaking seal or seals.

Worked done in the last 30 days:
I dropped my bike off at Bloodworth on 06-04-2012 and the repair was not finished until 09-25-2012(14 weeks). I drove it 20 miles and the front counterbalance shaft bearing went bad.

Put the bike back in the shop on 09-26-2012. Bloodworth immediately replaced the bad bearing and seal and had it finished in two days.

I picked the bike up on 09-28-2012 and drove it 200 miles back to Memphis. Over the next week I noticed that the bike was leaking oil again from the same location.

So I drove the bike back to Bloodworth on 10-13-2012 and dropped it off for the same leaking seal issues.

So far the factory warranty or 2 year parts and labor warranty has been covering the repairs but I am getting tired of my bike being in the shop for months at a time.

I don't think that BMW of Little Rock or Bloodworth BMW are doing poor repair work. I believe that for some reason the bike is not repairable. It cost $1,500 to break the bike apart plus parts. You would think the BMW National would want to get this bike out of service. It has to be costing them a lot of money to keep repairing the bike under warranty.

Anthony at BMW National and Bruce the BMW Regional rep for my region have been helpful in getting the work promptly approved. I thank them for their help
Johnny the Service Writer at Bloodworth has been very pleasant to deal with also.

"Lemon" bikes happen, and that is to be expected. But it is how the manufacture handles the "Lemon" bike that is important.

I know that Bloodworth BMW is embarrassed, I know that I am embarrassed to tell my friends that my bike is in the shop again, and I would like to think that BMW National is embarrassed about this lemon bike and would like to do something about it.

Several people suggested that I should sell the bike and buy something else. But I can not in good faith sell this bike to anyone considering all the problems I have had with it.

I have been in contact with BMW National asking them to buy the bike back or swap it for a demo bike. I will keep you posted.

For all you folks that are dreaming about the new "wet head", remember, my 2005 r1200gs had an early 2004 build date and was a "first year" bike also. My bike is great when it is not leaking, but a pain in the butt when it is leaking oil.

BUYER BEWARE of first year model bikes, or for that matter first year model anything.

Thanks for the offer

I have test ridden a lot of bikes lately just in case I decide to trade it. So far I have not found any bike that I like as much. I have not ridden the new Honda NC 700 but would like to give it a test ride. I will keep you posted so don't spend you $100.

too many times in the shop

I have test ridden a lot of bikes lately just in case I decide to trade it. So far I have not found any bike that I like as much. I have not ridden the new Honda NC 700 but would like to give it a test ride. I will keep you posted so don't spend you $100.

I am with you on time to try another Bike

Sold my 1200R and my 08 1200 GS
Still have one 08 1200R left

looking at a new 990 KTM adventure this time

Tried one and like it a lot

They do not have fuel strip problems
Good Luck
Dave

The only way this can be happening so often comes down to 2 things.
Either inept repair work or failure to diagnose a manufacturing mistake (like an off center shaft, etc). Neither will get solved by having the same folks do the same thing all over again. Nice has nothing to do with competent and expecting different results from the same thing is the definition of insanity.
Either find a real master mechanic to examine this bike or dump it. Broken down and sold as parts it would bring a decent amount..

I'm only an amateur mechanic (doesn't pay well enough for my tastes to do it for a living) who has wrenched for about 50 yrs and learned a lot of what I know from the good guys I've had helping on my race gear, etc. Perhaps 1 in 5 of folks wrenching for a living is top rate and even that is probably a generous estimate. And you need one of those guys who has done these repairs for a living to find out what's really going on with yours. Observation skills are key to being good at diagnostics and many who should, have no observation skills- they don't see and understand the important details of what is clearly visible.

AMan, Brother!

the only way this can be happening so often comes down to 2 things.
Either inept repair work or failure to diagnose a manufacturing mistake (like an off center shaft, etc). Neither will get solved by having the same folks do the same thing all over again. Nice has nothing to do with competent and expecting different results from the same thing is the definition of insanity.
Either find a real master mechanic to examine this bike or dump it. Broken down and sold as parts it would bring a decent amount..

I'm only an amateur mechanic (doesn't pay well enough for my tastes to do it for a living) who has wrenched for about 50 yrs and learned a lot of what i know from the good guys i've had helping on my race gear, etc. Perhaps 1 in 5 of folks wrenching for a living is top rate and even that is probably a generous estimate. And you need one of those guys who has done these repairs for a living to find out what's really going on with yours. Observation skills are key to being good at diagnostics and many who should, have no observation skills- they don't see and understand the important details of what is clearly visible.

agreed!

I would be thinking "HONDA" or at least another brand! I am on my sixth fuel strip etc.etc. No permanent fix in sight.

Jack

Thanks for your input racer7

racer7, I used your reply as a quote to Anthony at BMW NA.
"The only way this can be happening so often comes down to 2 things.
Either find a real master mechanic to examine this bike or dump it. Broken down and sold as parts it would bring a decent amount."

I have not heard back, I will keep you posted.

Curious, how many miles are on your bike?

I bought a used '11 RT in March. It had 2800 miles on it. 2 months ago after a 900 mile day I noticed my bike leaking oil from between the trans and engine. Under warranty so I took it to my dealer Bob BMW in MD. Rear main seal was the diagnosis, but they replaced the balance shaft seal and the trans input seal as well because they were leaking slightly also. I am very concerned that this is just the start of a future with leaks. I have put 2200 miles on the bike since and so far, so good.

I posted the problem here on the Forum but nobody could tell me of hearing anyone else having this problem on a low miles RT. 2 guys said oh I have 22 miles on my RT and no leaks!

I have seen in other areas of replacement parts that the seal, bearings gaskets etc...are made in CHINA and suck. I have put 10 rear end yoke seals on my Mack dump truck because other, quality seals are just not available. Not sure if this is contributing to your issues. I think the mechanics could be at fault. Lets face it just because they wear a BMW mechanic shirt doesn't mean they are good mechanics. After getting my bike back, having Bob's "top guy" on the repair, I found the exhaust clamps not tightened and the final drive shaft cover not put back in place. They also replaced the cruise control switch which failed and failed to tighten the switch pod to the handlebars. Finding those little things I wonder how thorough they were doing a proper repair on the rest of the bike in areas I cannot check!

So far I have had the rear shock replaced from a seal failure, the seals on the engine and gear box, the cruise control switch and the trans shifts worst than my old Mack truck which they claim is normal. This is my first BMW. Had Kawi's and Harley's almost trouble free. Thought I was buying a reliable, trouble free machine to put some serious seat time on.

Seal failures on low mileage R models aren't exactly unheard of- we've had a couple in our local club, all repaired under warranty by the "local" dealer (150 miles away). And all of those repairs were successful and the problems did not repeat for those riders. So I would not get too excited about an early failure as long as it gets fixed. All machines have flaws and BMWs are no exception- the worst system on the R bikes is the fuel system.

However, I understand what you mean about junk parts from China. Our local club also had a couple folks have valve stem failures this summer, all fom the same box of stems used by the same shop. Most rubber stems do come from China these days and they are crap compared to what's oem on the bike. Its the reason I always change to metal stems that cannot have a sudden failure (though their gaskts do cold flow over time and may develop slow leaks after a few years in a hot climate. This is not preventable- rubber is chemcally a "glass" and will flow over time when subjected to force)

The only way this can be happening so often comes down to 2 things.

I'm only an amateur mechanic (doesn't pay well enough for my tastes to do it for a living) who has wrenched for about 50 yrs and learned a lot of what I know from the good guys I've had helping on my race gear, etc. Perhaps 1 in 5 of folks wrenching for a living is top rate and even that is probably a generous estimate. And you need one of those guys who has done these repairs for a living to find out what's really going on with yours. Observation skills are key to being good at diagnostics and many who should, have no observation skills- they don't see and understand the important details of what is clearly visible.

What he said. Did the owner mention he has 874,000 miles on this bike? (ha ha)

So far no leaks

I picked up my bike from Bloodworth on Friday 10-19 and have put 400 miles on it without any leaks. While searching for leaks I found that a bolt that attaches the rear of the transmission to the frame was not tightened. I was able to remove it by hand. I searched for other loose bolts but thankfully I did not find any.

I modified a statement posted by racer7 and sent it to Anthony, who is my contact at BMW NA.

The following is a quote I sent to Anthony:

"Answer me one question: Do I have a unrepairable defective bike or does BMW have inept service technicians? It is either one or the other or maybe both. Anthony, I am not trying to be a smart ass, but can you think of any other reason for the repeated seal problems with my bike? I look forward to your response."

I will post any reply I receive for Anthony.

Anthony at BMW NA has been very helpful getting this matter resolved and has been my advocate between Bruce the BMW Regional Service Rep and Bloodworth.

You are probably correct dbrick

The reason why is sent the question to Anthony is that he would be forced to spend a few seconds trying to come up with another answer, but then realize that there is NOT any other possible answer.

I will be sending this same question with a brief history of my bikes repeated seal failures to other BMW corporate personnel. Might not do any good but maybe it will help the next person with a defective BMW bike.

I think the new wethead is going to be a good bike, but I would not want to buy the first year of production. My 2005 GS had a early 2004 build date and the leaking seals issue was a common problem with the early models.

Let some one else buy the "beta bike" this time. I will wait until BMW sorts out the first year production issues that are bound to happen.

Several members have asked for my vin# to compare build dates

Several members with leaking seal issues have asked for my vin # to compare build date.

My vin # is WB10317A55ZL77208 and had a build date of 11-2004.

If you have had a leaking counterbalance shaft seal, engine output(main seal), transmission input or transmission output seal leak post your vin # and I will put a spreadsheet together.

Thanks

Back