• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Breather in rear right-angle gearbox 2011 R1200GS

Hi,

I have a 2011 R1200GS and someone pointed out to me today that the rear drive has a breather, which I understand is a part of BMW's ongoing efforts to minimize rear drive failures due to pressure fluctuations.

I can't find the breather's installation\removal described in my BMW Service manual for the bike.

Does anybody now how to remove\install it? I can see the exterior rubber boot but am wondering how it is installed\removed?

Thanks for any education that you can provide.

Best regards,

Dave McDougall
Welland, Ontario
2011 R1200GS

Hi,

I have a 2011 R1200GS and someone pointed out to me today that the rear drive has a breather, which I understand is a part of BMW's ongoing efforts to minimize rear drive failures due to pressure fluctuations.

I can't find the breather's installation\removal described in my BMW Service manual for the bike.

Does anybody now how to remove\install it? I can see the exterior rubber boot but am wondering how it is installed\removed?

Thanks for any education that you can provide.

Best regards,

Dave McDougall
Welland, Ontario
2011 R1200GS

Dave - just curious.. why would you want to remove it?

BTW - please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I've added that info to your thread title. Please do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums.

Hi,

Thanks for adding the model and year to my subject line for me. I agree that makes complete sense and is helpful to all.

I am not planning to remove it at this point in time, but I would like to understand how it is assembled and how it works.

For example, if the rubber boot should get bumped when I am washing the bike with my wash mitt, could water then enter into the rear drive?

Thanks,

Dave McDougall

For example, if the rubber boot should get bumped when I am washing the bike with my wash mitt, could water then enter into the rear drive?

The boot protects the swing arm cavity where the drive shaft (and FD input splines) live. Should the boot fail no water will get into the FD itself, but you still don't want water where the drive shaft meets the FD input splines. On the plus side it should take more than a "bump" to dislodge a correctly installed boot.

The breather is part number 23 00 7 693 739 and costs about the same as a drain plug. I don't have one on my older GS so can't tell you how it is attached.

Hi,

I am not sure if I was clear about the rubber boot that I was talking about... The rubber boot I am referring to is about the size of a thimble that is sitting over the breather.

Thanks,

Dave McDougall

Sorry! My error. Not having a breather I didn't know it was covered by a rubber boot and assumed the wrong thing.

Back