• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

turn signal gaskets r75/5 (adhesive? yay? nay?)

jbf

Hi all,

The turn signal gaskets on my r75/5 are the old white/grey and have become hard dried up remnants of its past 40 year life.

I was about to order turn signal gaskets from bmwhuckys.com

I noticed in the photos these gaskets are cut (they appear more like a rubber string of sorts). Is there a specific type of adhesive I should use when mounting these? is adhesive even supposed to be used on them at all to affix them to the lights?

Also i suppose this same question applies to the tool tray and its gasket as well.

My tool tray is filthy and the old gasket is also bad. Was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion on trying to clean the tool tray up to look nice and new again and also what type of adhesive is best to affix its gasket as well?

Is it better to just replace the tool tray entirely? Or do you think it would be able to clean up well?

Turn signal gaskets

The gaskets are cut for a reason. The split should be on the bottom so that any water can drain. Look at the lens bottom and you'll see a gap.
Last I checked, the new gaskets are still available from BMw but are black in color. Eurotech (now out of business) had a kit available with the correct color. Boxers By Bruce may have some of them as well. The kits also included the black plastic washer that goes under the head of the screw.
Just use a small ammount of "super glue" to hold them on.

Hi all,

The turn signal gaskets on my r75/5 are the old white/grey and have become hard dried up remnants of its past 40 year life.

I was about to order turn signal gaskets from bmwhuckys.com

I noticed in the photos these gaskets are cut (they appear more like a rubber string of sorts). Is there a specific type of adhesive I should use when mounting these? is adhesive even supposed to be used on them at all to affix them to the lights?

Also i suppose this same question applies to the tool tray and its gasket as well.

My tool tray is filthy and the old gasket is also bad. Was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion on trying to clean the tool tray up to look nice and new again and also what type of adhesive is best to affix its gasket as well?

Is it better to just replace the tool tray entirely? Or do you think it would be able to clean up well?

There is a solution. Check your PM's

When you say superglue you mean the plastic rings for the screws or on both screws and gaskets?

I didn't use any glue on my signal gaskets and they have been fine since I replaced them 5 years ago. Also, 5 years ago, you could still order the rubber gasket for the tool tray. I used storm door insulation for glueing and put clothes pins all around and let the glue set overnight. I still have to reposition the tail end of the gasket now and again (just like the original) when I open the seat.

"Goop everywhere" seems a 'merikun tradition but has no place on BMWs.

Don't use adhesive/sealant except where BMW specifies.

Gluing on gaskets is NOT universal practice.

glue

"Goop everywhere" seems a 'merikun tradition but has no place on BMWs.

Don't use adhesive/sealant except where BMW specifies.

Gluing on gaskets is NOT universal practice.

These gaskets came with glue on them. Just so ya know.

3 spots of Crazy Glue work great on the seal. One on either side of the drain and one above that right in the middle.

Back