• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Knee replacement

Knee Replacement

I had my knee replaced 12/23/10. Was home within 3 days walking with walker, in home therapy for about 4 weeks 3 times a week and on the off days the therapy was performed by me 3 times a day everyday. That is the biggest thing you have to do. Pain was minimal and was off pain meds really soon, within 2 weeks. Done lots of walking in the house and before 3 weeks were up I was out walking on the driveway just short distances but moving. I'm now almost 2 years out and am doing anything I want. We went to the Rally in 2011 in Bloomsburg and I had been riding before that on practice rides as we like to call them. Getting my distance up so I could make the trip. I guess you are the driver so it wouldn't maybe take you as long. I had to get my leg up over the LT. Hope this helps you make the choice of getting it done easier. Just do your therapy. My Dr travels the world teaching other doctors his skills. I have talked to other people that have had knee replacement and have been in lots of pain right after surgery but with DR Whiteside of Mo Bone and Joint you don't have that to look forward to.

Shirley Schrader

Thanks, biggest problem is that I work for myself and have no backup. Other big problem is that the standard transmission car has to go (left knee).

And I get it about the PT, my mother had hers done 20 years ago and never did any PT. I won't be like that.

Hi. I had both knees replace in Feb. 2008. Spent 3 day in Hospital, 1 week in a rehab hospital.

Went to the doctor the third week, was walking without the walker. was put on a cane. 6 weeks with (3 days) of pt.

In July rode to the Wyoming Rally. and back. (4200 mile in 2 weeks.

I ride a 2000K1200LTC and pull a camper.

If you want to talk call me 610-349-4168

Thanks, biggest problem is that I work for myself and have no backup. Other big problem is that the standard transmission car has to go (left knee).

And I get it about the PT, my mother had hers done 20 years ago and never did any PT. I won't be like that.

How bad is the knee? If the knee is really bad (i.e., lots of pain) you'll be dancing in the street in no time. My father waited many years and really lost mobility before he had his first knee replaced. Within two weeks he was more mobile and had less pain than before the operation.

I don't see the need to dump the stick shift car.

I'm having my left knee done next week, Thursday the 25th. Then Nov. 29th the right knee. The doctor says it will take 6 weeks to recover, one day in the hospital. I figure my riding is done until next spring.

I had my left one done in July 2010. I was able to ride the R100RS by early Oct. but couldn't bend it enough to ride a K1200GT till Nov. Moving the bike around was no problem just a little painfull to shift for a couple of months.

I had my left knee replaced in 07 and my goal was to be able to ride my R1100RS. I worked hard at PT and could ride in about 6 weeks. I had my right knee replaced in 10' and I am walking and doing things I had not done in many years. So glad I have had them done, should have done it years before and saved all the pain.

Knees 2008

Had double knee replacement March 28, 2008. Sports med doctor did the surgery. He had me riding stationary bicycle, twice a day for 30mins each time before surgery starting around Jan. surgery was early afternoon, they got me up the next day had me doing laps around corridor then stairs before I left Friday am. Wasn't released to do so but was driving by second week. Did therapy three times a week at their facility and would go home and do it all over when I got home as well as days at home. I was back teaching motorcycle classes by mid May, and flew to Vermont and rode a slash five back beginning of June. Four years later......glad I did it!

Sister had both of hers done couple of years ago. Said it was very painful. She does have more maneuverability though. Best thing she ever did.

Put off a new shoulder for years, living in pain.

After it was done I said "Why did I wait?"

The sooner you do it, the sooner you will live pain free.

Good Luck!

I don't kneed (hah!0) a new knee yet, but I am getting some surgery to debride and hopefully repair some damage....
Any idea as to recovery on that one?

Both knees done February 2008, age 55. PT, PT, PT and more PT. Life changing, for the better. After living with pain for years, surgery and recovery were nothing more than soreness. Self employed and back to work full time in three weeks. I believe attitude and determination to get better are most important part of recovery,PT, PT, PT. Good Luck!

Back