• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200GS - So Long Fuel Strip #4

java1968

This one lasted 3 months.

Tell me all about how that's because of the alcohol in the BP and Shell fuel I've been buying in Ohio. Over the course of 3 months.

And now I have to figure out when I can carve out a day to get to the dealer which is 120 miles away.

This sucks.

Bummer ! I am on Fuel strip # 2 , which I had to pay for (05 RT with 20K) installed in May and now at 26K , it has been acting a little funny, taking longer to read the level after a fill up. Seems like the new strips are not lasting as long as the old ones :dunno

I suppose it's better that they last for 3 months instead of 3 years. At least at 3 months they are replaced for free.

I just have to add.

2112 R1200R. 4500 miles and 6 weeks old. Fuel strip still working. It reads full till 1/2 tank, but repeatable and seems to be more accurate towards empty.

To the original poster, sorry for your loss.

David

Just to add to the body of knowledge, my 2007 GS had ONE strip failure, I think in early '08, repaired under warranty then no further problems up to the bike's demise in 2010.

if the fuel strip fails does the low fuel light stay on?

i'm guessing the fuel strip is just a variable resistor and with a bit of work it could be bypassed with a resistor equal to whatever the resistance is when full. then just fagetaboutit and use the trip odometer

Last edited:
That's what I'll do or have done once this finally happens out of warranty. Until then, I'm going to keep having them replace the part in the hope that I'll get lucky and get a good one.

I just have to add.

2112 R1200R. 4500 miles and 6 weeks old. Fuel strip still working. It reads full till 1/2 tank, but repeatable and seems to be more accurate towards empty.

To the original poster, sorry for your loss.

David

I believe sir you do not have a fuel strip but a mechanical devise as of 2011.

Jack

I just lost my sixth fuel strip. Just past two years since the last. BMW has no intention to recall these bikes for a permanent fix. Meanwhile they are collecting about three hundred dollars per fuel strip and making a nice profit on all of us.

2008 R1200RT

Jack

I just lost my sixth fuel strip. Just past two years since the last. BMW has no intention to recall these bikes for a permanent fix. Meanwhile they are collecting about three hundred dollars per fuel strip and making a nice profit on all of us.

2008 R1200RT

Jack

If you think that's bad, try $2,100 for a plastic urea tank for the X5 diesel. Damn thing apparently uses the same strip thing molded into the tank and cannot be replaced by itself. I can live with the check engine light on ... :banghead

For the record, strip #3 never made it out of the shop. It was installed and found to be defective before the bike came off the stand. With #4 having lasted about three months, I'll say it again - we do not have an oxygenated fuel problem with these things.

parts fiche on 2012 R still shows a strip...the RT's have the float first

I thought all bikes with strips were history mid year 2011. If not my HA. (humble apology) My two year since replacement ended October 7, 2012. This will be number 7. Why me God?

Other than that, bike has been relatively trouble free.

Jack 2008 RT

I thought all bikes with strips were history mid year 2011. If not my HA. (humble apology) My two year since replacement ended October 7, 2012. This will be number 7. Why me God?

Other than that, bike has been relatively trouble free.

Jack 2008 RT

The 2012 R1200R still came with a fuel strip. Go figure, we're always the red-headed stepchild in the BMW lineup.

For the record, strip #3 never made it out of the shop. It was installed and found to be defective before the bike came off the stand. With #4 having lasted about three months, I'll say it again - we do not have an oxygenated fuel problem with these things.

These problems (strip failure) occur in countries that do not use ethanol or oxygenation. It is a design problem and a failure by BMW.

They have no plans to correct this. They are making a lot of money on this for those who are past their two year parts replacement period.

Meanwhile we go through a the greif and uncertainty, not to mention the day it takes to get it fixed at the shop. (seven days for me--will be installing number 7)

It is way past time for a class action on this and the Final drive problem.

What say you? No I will not put a piece of tape over the constant flashing fuel pump, the warning indicator, or the zero fuel reading on a $21,000 motorcycle that you are suppose to ride with pride.

Jack

If I read the article in the latest ON magazine correctly, the VP of BMW NA blamed the fuel strip issues on fuel.

Back