• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Value for 1977 R100/7 with 9,350 miles?

G

garnchristensen

This past week I obtained a 1977 R100/7 in original condition with only 9,350 miles from the original owner. The original owner is a lady in her 70s who bought the bike along with a matching R100/7 with an ex-husband in 1977. Three years later they divorced and a year later she remarried. Her new husband did not like motorcycles and it has been ridden but about once a year for the last 32 years. The same mechanic has been doing an annual service and the bike runs great. I've put 450 miles on it in the last few weeks. There is no rust, some of the rubber is cracked, but overall it is in great condition. It was stored in a barn in a very dry part of WA State. My question is the value of this bike? Anyone have an idea on the range?

Attachments

• P1020746.jpg
    P1020746.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 256
Really hard to say. Sometimes low-mileage vehicles can develop problems, and may not be a good investment. Seals are the most problematic. I owned this exact bike (same color and year too) in the past. It looks very clean. The white bags are rare. My guess would be 4-5k. But, it is worth what someone wants to pay for it. Just depends how bad someone wants it. Hopefully, you will keep it and ride it. It is a very nice looking bike.

Really hard to say. Sometimes low-mileage vehicles can develop problems, and may not be a good investment. Seals are the most problematic. I owned this exact bike (same color and year too) in the past. It looks very clean. The white bags are rare. My guess would be 4-5k. But, it is worth what someone wants to pay for it. Just depends how bad someone wants it. Hopefully, you will keep it and ride it. It is a very nice looking bike.

If I was appraising this motorcycle for insurance purposes, I would put a value of $ 3,800. - $ 5,000.
What makes a unit like this interesting is that it's in an original condition. Looking at the picture, I would guess that the tires are original and with that being said, change them out, as its not worth having an accident with a tire failing when you least expect it!

You say you "obtained" it. Does that mean you paid some money to the original owner already, and want to find out how you did?

Are you looking to sell it, or just wondering what it's worth for insurance purposes?

As one poster said, it's really worth what someone's will to pay for it. Given what I've seen over the past few years, for a bike like that in original condition, probably somewhere north of $3000.

reatil price is different than insurance price or replacement price. Spring price vs winter price is different when in the northern states.
If your just asking to see how great you ripped off an old lady, then the bike is worth your karma and you can leave the old tires on it.

I'd say the window for selling a bike like this is closing quickly.

Best bet is finding someone old enough to have had one or wanted one in the day.

To most, it's just an old, obsolete, not-good-looking, slow motorcycle.

reatil price is different than insurance price or replacement price. Spring price vs winter price is different when in the northern states.
If your just asking to see how great you ripped off an old lady, then the bike is worth your karma and you can leave the old tires on it.

Ouch. Nice way to treat a guy who is posting for the first time. Checked YOUR karma lately?

He's just asking a question. And you are making some XXXL assumptions....

To most, it's just an old, obsolete, not-good-looking, slow motorcycle.

You know, Kent, I would dare say there are more people in the other category who enjoy old motorcycles and what they have to offer.

From the tractor seat(s) that I sit in, I think most people are spending way too much on very complicate motorcycles with little "connection" to it other than through their wallet.

The value of anything is not dollars, IMHO, but how a materical object, in this case a servicable motorcycle capable of covering long distances in relative safety, comfort and enjoyment, can add value to one's life.

For the hands on crowd, airhead owners, the greatest value many times is gained in the home garage servicing the airhead and readying for the next season. Beats TV, thing-a-ma-widgets, paying 1200 dollars for next computerized tune-up, and viewing machines as a mystery best left to technicians.

Owning an airhead is a participatory sport. We get to join in the activity/riding with our machines which ferry us all through our lives, and the countryside. Our bikes become our buddies. The value is beyond a dollar figure, to me anyway.

The value of anything is not dollars, IMHO, but how a materical object, in this case a servicable motorcycle capable of covering long distances in relative safety, comfort and enjoyment, can add value to one's life.

For the hands on crowd, airhead owners, the greatest value many times is gained in the home garage servicing the airhead and readying for the next season. Beats TV, thing-a-ma-widgets, paying 1200 dollars for next computerized tune-up, and viewing machines as a mystery best left to technicians.

Owning an airhead is a participatory sport. We get to join in the activity/riding with our machines which ferry us all through our lives, and the countryside. Our bikes become our buddies. The value is beyond a dollar figure, to me anyway.

Well said!
Gets my vote for post of the day. :thumb

Ouch. Nice way to treat a guy who is posting for the first time. Checked YOUR karma lately?

He's just asking a question. And you are making some XXXL assumptions....

another viewpoint- given that the OP has already purchased the bike, and has given no feedback whatsoever regarding why he is now asking about value of the bike... the motivations behind his question are somewat suspect.

if he asked before buying... obvious.
if he asked and stated "i'm considering selling, as i only bought the bike to make a quick profit on it".... obvious.
but at this point..... not so obvious.

Update

My question was just that...a question. Not an offer to sale. The owner sold it to me as an old bike with low miles. Not as a collector item. Her goal was that I ride it, which I am. My concern over value was more in line with what amount I should insure it for.

This is my 3rd BMW. First rode a 75, then 84, then 2002, and now back to an airhead. I am not much of mechanic so my main concern is how dependable this bike will be.

I am also not sure how this blog/thread thing works.

the thread thing is: somebody posts, and others are free to respond. or not. once started, threads sometimes stay on topic, sometimes not so much.

adding the info about wanting to know value for insurance in your inital post would have kept things fully on topic right from the start.

be sure the rubber bits and wiring are doing what they should... and the bike should be every bit as reliable as it was 30 years go.
stupid easy to do your own maintenance. if unsure about that.. check out your local MOA or Airheads club. someone there will be glad to help you.

welcome back! ;)

Simply put in my personal opinion ... Priceless.

I'm still riding (cross country) my 78 R100/7 I purchased new, and while approaching 75k it continues to get better. It's never failed me in any situation or adverse condition. You found a great unmolested airhead. They do everything well. My only advice to you is; ride it and enjoy it. The easiest way to abuse an airhead is to run it without oil or park it for an extended time period. Not sure if I could ever replace my /7 for any amount of money.

Lots of knowledgable help here for any maintenance issue.

Congratulations!

The bike is worth between $4200.00 and $5000.00. The same exact bike just sold with similar miles for just over $4000.00 in Northern California.

My question was just that...a question. Not an offer to sale. The owner sold it to me as an old bike with low miles. Not as a collector item. Her goal was that I ride it, which I am. My concern over value was more in line with what amount I should insure it for.

This is my 3rd BMW. First rode a 75, then 84, then 2002, and now back to an airhead. I am not much of mechanic so my main concern is how dependable this bike will be.

I am also not sure how this blog/thread thing works.

Nice Bike!
You can use this blog for any questions about your bike. There are many knowledgeable people willing to give beneficial help and or directions. There should be a number of like minded Airheads in your state. I've had the pleasure of meeting many in my home state (WI) and look forward to the annual Tech sessions to learn more airhead maintenance tips. Also there's the Airhead Beemers Club that offers a monthly newsletter to it's membership with helpful tech info and listings of state specific events. :thumb

Mike Horne
76 R90/6, 120k, daily rider
93 R100R Legend, 40k, weekend and special rides

You'll have between $3500 and $4500 in a well sorted airhead when you are finished, that if you do most of the work your self. I'd add about $500 for excellent, original paint. Go ahead and do the math.

Too bad about the fairing. I personally never liked those very much. It would be a detraction to me to have to deal with removing one of those from an otherwise exceptional motorbike.

I would go with the $4,500 figure

If you don't use the bags much I would take them off and store them someplace safe and if that fairing is as cumbersome as it looks I would take it off and put it back to naked bike status. This bike is an easy candidate for an "S" fairing and a set of Magura low bars. Or if you like it the way it is ride the wheels off it, that's what its been waiting for.

A word of advice, if you haven't already please please have the under the gas tank brake master cylinder inspected and replaced if its old or questionable. It would be a shame to ruin any of the paint on that bike if it decides the recent activity is reason enough to leak.

The first thing you want to do is to clean and lube the clutch splines; they're probably pretty dry.

And that fairing should be saleable.

Last edited:
Back