• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Moved up 38 years to a R1200R

nardowell

Nardowell
Thanks to everyone that contribued to an earlier post about whether to trade my 1974 R90/6 for a new R1200R. After reading the comments, going to the Mo. rally and riding with friends with newer bikes, I decided to trade. Another deciding factor was the "you only live once" thing. After getting through prostate cancer three years ago (comliments of Agent Orange) I may as well enjoy the benifits of a new machine.

It took some hunting around, but I finally found a dealer that could get a new R1200R classic. The new bike's handling, brakes, gear shifting, turn signals and all the rest of the new technology is great. I now ride further with more comfort and the enjoyability factor went way up.

This and other forums where a GREAT help in knowing about the bike's characteristics and knowing which farkles I wanted. The forum is such a great way to share information. It makes our sport more fun. Thanks to everyone that contributes helpful info.

Farkles so far:
-OEM touring windshield
-My old Garmin

Farlkes on the way
-OEM side cases
-Booster Plug
-Taller windshield for cool weather
-Puig rear wheel hugger

Attachments

• New R1200R.jpg
    New R1200R.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 183
Vietnam '69 and '70?

you're too old to be on a motorcycle!

6847782789_26c6342155.jpg

(chulai/ danang, '69-'70)

3 years ago I went from an R75/6 to a 2000 RT oil head.

HOLY COW what a difference!

This fall I bought an R1200R because the oil head was worn out at 137,000 miles.

The R1200R was more like my Airhead. Lighter, lower, simpler.....

I love it.

Enjoy many safe miles on that new bike.

I am curious how the booster plug works out. I don't think mine needs one, it runs awesome the way it is. No herkity jerkity throttle. My oilhead needed a techlusioin to cure its ailments.

David

you're too old to be on a motorcycle!

6847782789_26c6342155.jpg

(chulai/ danang, '69-'70)

Looks like neither one us are young whipper snappers.
I'll bet you understand the need to keep mud off you and the bike.
After slopping through it in the A Shau valley I don't want any more sinking mud on me than I have to. :thumb
This was taken on FSB Rakkasan NW of hamburger hill.

Attachments

• Muddy shelter.jpg
    Muddy shelter.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 111
congratulations!! I am here in central Illinois and I am loving my 2012 R1200R, just got back from the Falling Leaf Rally in Potosi,Mo

Back