• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low Idle

D

dramer

Hello All,

I have a 2004 R1150GSA and love everything about!!!! I just bought it about 2 months ago. I have had a 02R1150GS sense it was brand new. My concern is the GSA idles much lower than the GS ever did. How do I adjust the idle on the GSA?
I have done almost all of the maintainence on my GS throught the years so I understand a good part of the bikes.
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

How do I adjust the idle on the GSA?

Idle adjustment is done with the Big Brass Screws on the throttle bodies. It is recommended to use a Twinmax or Harmonizer when adjusting these screws so that you keep the throttle bodies balanced. I always make throttle body adjustments after my yearly valve adjustment procedure.

Be sure to mark the position of the BBS's, remove and clean them, re-install, balance the throttle bodies and make final adjustments for your idle speed.

I had a problem with intermittent low idle on my 04 R1150RT. I found great advice on this forum about how the stick coils can fail. I replaced both of my stick coils and that solved the problem.

Here are a couple of links for valve and throttle body adjustment that I use:

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/OVADv2.2.pdf

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/TBS4Dv1.0.pdf

Mark

Just finished reading (wife forgot to pay the cable bill so NOTHING was on TV). After doing it wrong 12 times over 6 years and 121k miles, I feel the next time will give me better adjustment.

Back