• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gerbing heated jacket use on a 01-k 1200RS

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Looking for some feedback on use of a Gerbing heated jacket with my K1200 RS. I just picked up a slightly used jacked from a BMW member in Ohio, who said that the Gerbing jacked should not be used on any bikes with the Canbus system, since it draws 7.5 amps and the Canbus system is rated only to 4 amps....??? Amy feedback would be appreciated, as I have never used any heated clothes before. This is the first time I've had a power-port available to plug into....
So my question is, does the 01 K bike have the Canbu system or am I good to go....?

Beemer01, thanks for the quick reply.... I was just getting ready to figure out how to hook up a cigarette lighter left-over from my Kawasaki days.... Bought but never installed.... so now I don't have to find a place to mount it......:thumb

I prefer to connect a Gerbings lead direct to the battery. BMW's power socket can get quite warm when running a jacket liner.

Adjustable heat

If the jacket didn't come with a a thermostat, suggest you get one. Most operate on a switchmode basis - turning the heat on and off many times every minute. You just notice that the heat can be turned up or down depending on your requirements - reduces load on alternator and plug, tho I've never noticed that my plug getting hot.

Also much easier than turning it on and off.

heated

I have a 2000K1200RS k12rs. A thermostat is a must IMO. Makes riding in cold temps. more enjoyable. No problem with your bike and wiring.

Thanks to everyone for the information.... I've purchased a duel controller, and some heated gloves, and have to wonder why I didn't buy a MC earlier that has the capability to support the amp's draw... The last 2 days, early morning temps have been in the lower 40"s, and I have been toasty on my ride up to the Mickey D's coffee klatch meeting.....without needing to wear my leather jacket.....So come on single digits..... Might have to pick up a pair of heated slacks to go with the jacket, at some time in the future....

Back