• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toaster Tank Chrome Panels

I had mine re-chromed. The guy's work has proven to be somewhat less than what I had hoped for. I don't think the guy I used did much more than polish out the old chrome and then apply new chrome. After a little over a year I'm starting to see a bit of lifting at the edges of one panel.

Like paint work, what it comes down to is proper surface preparation. The term "triple-chrome" used to be the byword; a layer of copper (brushed and burnished) followed by nickle (burnished and buffed) and finally the chrome itself. As in paint work, the "shine" of the part is directly related to the smoothness of the substrate (base metal). If your panels are deeply pitted, it's going to take a lot of work to restore the surface to the point where the chrome will look like you think it should.

A note particular to Toasters: The rear clips (on the back side) that hold the panel onto the tank leave a very slight blemish of the outside of the panel; not all the time, but on many of the panels I've seen. It's a result of the shrinkage caused when the clip is silver soldered onto the panel. The only way to "hide" it is to fill with brass or lead and work out the surface - totally futile in my opinion, not to mention $$$. The dimples are authentic... leave 'em.

The last pair I saw go on eBay sold for $450... NOS, in original packaging. A bit extreme. They're out there, one just has to be patient.

I recently saw a set of panels that had been powder coated... not too bad looking, and an interest change from the usual. There are some "metal" finish powder paints that are a far cry from the old rattle-can "Kentucky Chrome" (no offense meant to our brethren of the Blue Grass).

As hard as it is to find these and the high price when you do, what is the demand for aftermarket panels? I see there are battery covers available, some stainless, why not tank covers too. If you would be interested in aftermarket panels for your toaster tank speak up here. Maybe someone will take note and make them or perhaps we can get someone to make them special order for us as a group.

Last edited:
I'm currently on the hunt for somebody to 'restore' a batch of toaster panels I have in various conditions.

If anybody has found some sources, let me know.

So far, I am learning to do it right, it isn't cheap.

If i don't hear back via this thread, i'll post back my findings and results.

Toaster panels

Just keep an eye out on ebay. They come up from time to time and some of them are in great condition and go for a reasonable price.

Talk to : www.speedandsport.com He's is into the bike restoration business & CA guy thats made a life from MC's. I had him send off old Bultaco parts for rechrome & also some cadmium on fasteners,axles,etc., the work was done well by whomever he uses. For smaller batches he may be willing to mix his own parts with yours to keep the costs down. Do your own cleanup or pay him to do it. Takes some time, be patient.
I was recommended to use the chrome place in Dayton,OH by a nearby pro auto restorer.: www.metal-britepolishing.com He said he had used others and got poor results but that having sent very expensive parts these people did it right & it lasted. I have heard mixed reviews from a far handier chrome place near me in Lexington,KY. Seems the guy is said to be cantankerous.
Interestingly they seem to make good money chrome plating shovels for groundbreakings! Reminds me of the pricey waste of money nameplates that get on public buildings...

Back