• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Back in the Fold...one small problem

rapiddog

Barback King
Moved to Hexheads, sorry, you can delete this one Mods...

Got another Beemer yesterday, after a foray with Ducati.
2005 R1200RT, 41K, full barge with all the bells.

Rode it to work but had to stop several times to figure out how ti turn the 4 way flashers off....:banghead

Turn signal on
Hit cancel
4 ways come on...
Either that or cancel wouldn't work a all.
It happened repeatedly.

It was a humid morning, humidity maybe?
Canbus issue?

This is new to me, never had a prob on my R12GS/R1150RT/R11S.

Last edited:
You probably have moisture in the switch assemblies. The contacts are so near each other that even a small condensed droplet can short from one to another. I would use a good alcohol based electrical cleaner on both switches. You can usually spray in past the buttons without having to take the switches loose, but not always.

Despite everybody who will tell you it is a no-no, after a dose of contact cleaner I then spray WD40 into switches. I've done this since about 1977 and haven't had bad results. The cleaner will make the switches gritchy and hard to operate. The WD40 restores smooth operation in my experience.

hey Rapid- nice to see you here. :wave
as an FYI- your R12 is a HEXhead, not an OILhead; you'll get more focused responses if you remember to post over there.

Back in the Fold...one small problem '05 R1200RT

Got another Beemer yesterday, after a foray with Ducati.
2005 R1200RT, 41K, full barge with all the bells.

Rode it to work but had to stop several times to figure out how ti turn the 4 way flashers off....

Turn signal on
Hit cancel
4 ways come on...
Either that or cancel wouldn't work a all.
It happened repeatedly.

It was a humid morning, humidity maybe?
Canbus issue?

This is new to me, never had a prob on my R12GS/R1150RT/R11S.

....sorry for posting this in oilheads...:whistle

RapidDog..

Welcome back..!

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=63775 - it's helpful if you want some people to open the thread who may have something to add that's model specific. I've added it to your thread title, please do so yourself in future postings to the tech forums.

If I understand what you're saying - when you press the left turnsignal button - the 4 way flashers come on? And then you can use cancel to turn them off? Or is it when you hit cancel the left-signal that the 4 ways come on?

It's a WAG - but I'm guessing there is a problem with the a control cluster, or the wiring going to it. BMW loves to put tie-wraps on WAY too tight, and that can eventually cause damage to the wire under the tie-wrap, especially if it's a wire that's flexed a lot like the hand control wiring is.

That's just a guess. You probably could confirm this with a GS-911, which I believe has the capability to show the "switch state" - ie, open/closed (I know it does this on the switches on my R12R..) I would try hooking it up and seeing if somehow when you press the left turnsignal if the ZFE (body module - controls things like the signals/lights/etc) thinks both turnsignals were pressed (which is how you turn the 4-way on.) If so - I'd be looking for where the wiring from the left and right controls merge into one bundle of wires.. something in that bundle may be shorting the left and right signal controls. It's odd if this is happening that it doesn't also happen with the right signal button, but.. CANBUS might do this sort of thing if there is signal leakage.

Good luck with the troubleshooting. A GS-911 is an almost invaluable tool for any owner of a CANBUS equipped BMW...

Despite everybody who will tell you it is a no-no, after a dose of contact cleaner I then spray WD40 into switches. I've done this since about 1977 and haven't had bad results. The cleaner will make the switches gritchy and hard to operate. The WD40 restores smooth operation in my experience.

I don't see the point of the alcohol based cleaner if you're just going to spritz with WD40 afterwards. WD stands for Water Displacement and it is a good solvent to flush the crap out of the switches and it's also light lubricant. Works fine.

I use purpose built electronic cleaners and anti-oxidants/lubricants on switches and connectors ( http://www.caig.com), WD for drive chain and parts cleaning, followed by an appropriate lubricant.

BTW, on the way home last night I had no more problems. I suspect goo and the high humidity had something to do with it.
Switches are now all cleaned and lubed with electronic specific fluids.

Back