• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stupid oil filter question

S

stucknarut

The filter I just replaced on my latest /5 project came with two rubber ends. I'm assuming those are replacements for the original small black o-rings that went on the ends of the filter, but figured I'd ask the old-timers here.

Also, this isn't the setup with the $2000 white o-ring, it's the other one. Although it appears someone put the $2000 white o-ring around the edge of the inner oil filter retaining plate. Was that a clever mod or just some misunderstanding by a PO?

If you are talking about your 1973 R75/5 there is no big white "O" ring used although it usually
comes in the box with a new filter

The filters for a long time now have come with rubber ends pressed into the cartridge - look
something like short pieces of rubber hose - the smaller rubber "O" rings shown in parts
diagrams are no longer used

Be sure there is no old "O" ring deep in the canister on the tube left by PO otherwise you
probably will crush your new filter

What does the cover look like that you bolt to the outside of the engine case? Is it flat or is it dished in the middle? See here:

http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/

If you have the flat cover, which makes the most sense with the early filter setup, then there is no place for the large white o-ring to be used. I can't see how the dished cover could be used as there is a point on the inside the projects into the canister and is support to stick inside the most outboard small opening of the filter...it has the black o-ring on it.

With the flat cover, you need to only use the thin paper gasket. With the dished cover (for the /7-on setup), you typically do not use the thin paper gasket (have to measure the canister depth to be sure) but do use the large white o-ring and one or more of the thin metal shims (again, measurement of the canister depth will determine how many, but at least one is needed).

Back