• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any RT owners also own an R?

zenduddhist

I was wondering how many of us RT owners also own the R roadster model in addition to the RT.

Do you feel that the R is different enough to have both? Or are they to close together?

Thanks,

Chris

I had an 07 RT along with my 08 R for 2+ years. I eventually came to the conclusion that I did not need both and that when it came time for a ride I was always looking towards the R. I sold the RT last spring. The R is easier to ride than the RT, lower CG, more nimble and I have more confidence in slow speed manuvers. I use my R largely for longer trips and find that the way I have equipped I can can get more on it than I did with the RT. The side cases on the RT are surprisingly small inside. I also have very good protection on the R. With the scout fairing, tank panniers and Wunderlich foot protection it keeps me reasonably warm and dry.

SAM_1655.jpg

The picture above shows it during a recent ride down to the 4 corners area. I have Hepco Becker Bags and a Happy Trails topcase. We camp most of the time so we need to carry a bunch of gear so I also have a Kermit Bag on the pillion. I've got about 20K on this set-up this year and it is working well for me (I did add the top case in mid-summer). By the way, it appears Jesse will be coming out with bags to fit the R in the next 6 months or so. I will probably switch to those when available.

I do miss the large tank on the RT, but I ride with my wife on her F650GS twin and our fuel ranges are pretty similar. I also miss the cruise control. The ThrottleMeister is okay, but not as nice as cruise control.

Rode an RT for 3 years and 38ooo miles.

Now I ride an R with a windshield.
I bought the bags with the bike new but keep them off unless I travel.

David

Back