• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'94 R1100GS - thinking of purchase

grahamm

Hey Guys,

Lots of experience with K and Airheads, have never owned an Oilhead... looking at a fairly high mileage R1100GS - 108k miles. It seems well taken care of and in good shape, ABS, heated grips, luggage and two brothers exhaust.

Any opinions to the good, bad and ugly of these bikes and what resources are there to understand what I should be looking at for weaknesses?

PO said spine was maybe an issue, said that was taken of. As well tranny, but says it shifts well.

As well, how do they perform off road with aggressive tires? Thinking double track forest roads, is it more capable than the R100GS?

Graham

Last edited:
Typical issues with the spline, as well clutch wear and final drive condition would be a concern.
Personally, I've had less than mediocre luck with used vehicles. I did buy my 1100rtp used, but it was low mileage, and was a cop bike, so I knew somebody was watching it every now and then. Even though I bought it for a good price, I knew I'd have to put some$$ into it. ..and I did.
My point- I would not buy a used bike with that many miles unless it was unbelievably cheap. You know that you are going to have to repair/invest in it soon.

Actually spline issues are not that prevalent on the 1100 series. I'd be a little interested in the condition of the u-joints on the drive shaft. I'd also plan to replace the HES and the brake lines.

Besides that, you either seem to get a good one or a bad one. A bike with 108K miles is a good one. If it's cheap ($2500 ish) and you don't mind a little tinkering, I'd say go for it.

Considering I want to use this bike for mostly exploring the forest roads and double track trails with aggressive tires and will likely end up sideways a few times, it would be a shame to see $30K r1200gs after a year or so....

Used always presents it's challenges but first thing I do when getting one is tear it down as much a s needed for an inspection... generally I find BMWs a pleasure to work on and therapy for when garage time allows, a new one would not be much use to me;)

Actually spline issues are not that prevalent on the 1100 series. I'd be a little interested in the condition of the u-joints on the drive shaft. I'd also plan to replace the HES and the brake lines.

Besides that, you either seem to get a good one or a bad one. A bike with 108K miles is a good one. If it's cheap ($2500 ish) and you don't mind a little tinkering, I'd say go for it.

Thanks, what is "HES", it is a little more than 2500 but with ABS and the other accessories I think it is fair.

I don't think I have ever seen any GS bike go for $2500, not even an airhead with that many miles. They are a popular bike, and people selling them know it. I guess I'm wondering, if you are planning to use it as a sort of beater dirt bike most of the time, why not get a used KLR650, or even an F bike? They are a lot lighter, actually probably more fun in the woods. The KLR has a very good reputation as a dual sport, as does the Suzuki V-Strom. Probably cheaper to maintain, also.

I bought my 95 GS from a BMW dealer for $2000. Paid $300 for new tires on top of that. It had about 48k miles ABS, side cases and hadn't been detailed after it was traded but was clean enough for me. Things I've changed in no particular order: Brake lines/fluid, master cylinder piston after brake line failure, HES and alternator belt were changed when front crankshaft seal was replaced for a leak, fuel filter and all fuel lines internal and external were replaced, added fuel line quick disconnects, new battery recently, rebuilt right throttle body that was rattling, had fuel injectors professionally cleaned, New starter last week when magnets came loose and destroyed the armature, upgraded the left cam chain tensioner, New clutch cable and throttle cable as preventative maintenance.

All those things were done over the last year and a half and most were things that should have been done by the previous owner over time. I don't think he was very good about maintenance. It will get new shocks when I have the funds as they are pretty well shot. I'd buy it again if given the opportunity. Its been a very fun and capable bike and doesn't appear to have any clutch, final drive or transmission problems at this point.

Last edited:
I bought my 95 GS from a BMW dealer for $2000. Paid $300 for new tires on top of that. .

I'd say you got a really good deal. Barn find, or should I say, dealer find. I just checked the IBMWR listings and the cheapest GS I found was a 2000 1150 going for $4800. Mileage not mentioned. They all went up from there. The good thing was, there was certainly a lot of them for sale, so, no shortage.

I'd say you got a really good deal. Barn find, or should I say, dealer find. I just checked the IBMWR listings and the cheapest GS I found was a 2000 1150 going for $4800. Mileage not mentioned. They all went up from there. The good thing was, there was certainly a lot of them for sale, so, no shortage.

I think the dealer just wanted it off the floor so it wouldn't ugly up the place any longer! I thought it was kind of funny that the dirtiest, most beat looking machine was on display right at the front door when I went to pick it up. I bought it over the phone before I had actually seen it in person. No doubt it had issues. It had a huge mouse nest in the airbox for example, found that after I rode it home 200 miles. Just found a peanut under the battery tray last week looking for a loose ground! Still its a generally solid machine that I'm happy to own. To be honest I've really enjoyed the garage time with the bike. I know it pretty much inside and out at this point and draw confidence in the machine from that.

if you are planning to use it as a sort of beater dirt bike most of the time, why not get a used KLR650, or even an F bike? They are a lot lighter, actually probably more fun in the woods. The KLR has a very good reputation as a dual sport, as does the Suzuki V-Strom. Probably cheaper to maintain, also.

That just sounds too easy. Actually I have a 525exc which is an awesome adventure/rally bike and a Husaberg 450 for enduros, just looking for something that I could compete in the GS Giant events and have fun. F650 would also be great, but the big bore boxer has sooo much more torque for low rpm maneuvering:)

yes it is heavy, but I need to lift more weight anyways...

grahamm:

The transmissions on these bikes were problematic until the 1997 models. Don't get any oiler prior to that date unless the owner can provide proof that an updated transmission has been installed, or the transmission has been upgraded to 1997 or later spec.

The whole story is on Anton Largiader's site:

http://www.largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/

grahamm:

The transmissions on these bikes were problematic until the 1997 models. Don't get any oiler prior to that date unless the owner can provide proof that an updated transmission has been installed, or the transmission has been upgraded to 1997 or later spec.

The whole story is on Anton Largiader's site:

http://www.largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/

thanks, good information and resources, I will check the serial number out.

IIRC, from an old thread, a long time ago, some of the early trannies fail at high mileages.

And there are so many Oilers out there for sale.

Back