• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200Gsa 600 mile check rear main seal

knotbob

Really like my new GSA and I'm not to worried about it (yet) but when the 600 mile break in service was done there is a minor rear main seal leak.
It will be r&r'd when the part comes in.
Anybody know if this is just a fluke or have there been others?
Thanks,
Robb

I don't think that is a common early failure.

When they get the part in, remind them to carefully check the shaft for burrs or other irregularities that might have caused the seal failure.

Burrs on the shaft

I wish I could do it myself just to see what the problem was. The seal probably just got cocked when being pressed in or maybe there are burrs on the shaft which would just cause it to leak again if they aren't polished out.
Thanks.
Robb
QUOTE=PGlaves;825864]I don't think that is a common early failure.

When they get the part in, remind them to carefully check the shaft for burrs or other irregularities that might have caused the seal failure.[/QUOTE]

It was pretty common on the early Hexhead, but pretty rare on the new Camhead, yough not completely unheard of.

Jim :brow

Monitor for signs of another leak

My 2005 GS has gone thru 5 rear main seals and 9 counterbalance seals. My bike had a early 2004 build date so my bike is the exception not the norm. But I would monitor the bike for signs of a leak. Enjoy you bike, I enjoy mine when it is out of the shop.

Me Too. '11 RT

I just posted on another thread about my '11 RT seal failure at 10,000 miles, it was only 10 months old. New seal has 2200 miles on it. So far so good.

As I've noted in other threads, our local club members have had a couple episodes of early seal failure on new R bikes in the past few years. In all cases they got a successful warranty repair and haven't repeated.
Not all that common but not unheard of either...

Warranty seal r&r

I'm not expecting further problems but I don't know how experienced the mechanic is at a new dealership.

rear main seal and/or counter balancer seal

I'm not expecting further problems but I don't know how experienced the mechanic is at a new dealership.

Since the seals were replaced I have ridden my GSA 4-500 hundred miles on it with no leakage but this morning it has an oil leak.
It isn't bad but the fact that it's leaking isn't good.
There is a spot that is about 2" in diameter on the garage floor.

Do I take it back to the relatively new dealer to have the seals r&r'd again or to a dealer that has been around longer and has a more experienced BMW mechanic?

Thanks for any advice.

Still love the GSA.

knotbob, sorry to hear you have a leak again.

Since your bike is still covered by factory warranty it should not matter where you take it to get repaired. I know that I can take my new Ford truck to any dealer to get warranty repair performed so it should hold true for motorcycles also. So I think I would carry it to another dealer and have them do the repairs. I would tell the "new" dealer about the previous failed repair as ask for a tech that has experience with replacing seals to work on your bike.

Based on my 9 counterbalance seal failures I would monitor for leaks after every ride.
You said that it was "just a 2" spot on the floor", in my experience that is a BAD leak. Only one of my 9 leaks on my bike actually leaked down to the floor. Probably they installed the seal incorrectly for it to be leaking that bad so quick, but I would not tarry in getting the bike back to the shop.

This will be your second repair for the same problem and your third seal. Check on your states "lemon laws". For Tennessee the law states:
"A "Lemon" is a motor vehicle sold or leased after January 1, 1987, that has a defect or condition that substantially impairs the motor vehicle; and the manufacturer, its agent, or authorized dealer cannot repair the vehicle after three attempts or the vehicle is out of service for repairs for a cumulative total of 30 or more days during the term of protection. This Law is only applicable if the vehicle was bought new. Under the statute, the manufacturer must replace the motor vehicle or refund the purchase price (less a reasonable allowance for use)."

Based on my experience I would not hesitate to use the "lemon law", but you have to follow the guidelines.

Hopefully this next repair will fix the bike and you will not have any additional problems. Even though this is just your second repair I would follow the guidelines and send a certified letter to BMW NA to put them on notice that you are serious about following through with the "lemon law" if the problem returns. Also, you might have already met the 30 days out of service requirement. When BMW NA receives the letter they will contact you and will do their best to make sure you are "happy". I bet the person that contacts you is named Anthony. Anthony is in charge of pre-litigation and motorcycle buy-backs.

BMW NA will only pay attention to certified mail or other legal contact. Don't be the one that says "I wished I would have.......".

Good luck.

I am on my third seal. Have not had a chance to test the last one yet. The shop that installed it told me that the second one might have been over tightened.
Phil

Rear seal leak

It leaks a small 1.5" diameter leak each time I ride the first night parked but it doesn't leak any after that until the next ride.
I'm keeping a close eye on it but I will need to give it up to the shop again soon to get it changed again.
I live in Florida and this is the best time to ride with cool mornings and warm days so I haven't wanted to give it up.

A 1.5" diameter is a pretty good size leak.

Based on my bad experiences with main seals and counterbalance seals I would check out the lemon laws in your state and contact BMW NA. Call the customer service 1-800 number and tell them this will be the third seal and you would like to speak with Anthony Cavanaugh. Anthony is the manager of pre-litigation and bike buy-back. In most states 3 repairs for the same problem is considered a lemon. Even if you do not have the seal replaced now I would contact BMW NA and the dealer that did the repair work. Probably just a bad install and the next repair will stop the leak, but maybe not. The cost to repair a leaking main seal is over $1,000 and more if the clutch gets oil on it. So you don't want to mess around and let the lemon law time expire if you do have a bad bike.

It leaks a small 1.5" diameter leak each time I ride the first night parked but it doesn't leak any after that until the next ride.
I'm keeping a close eye on it but I will need to give it up to the shop again soon to get it changed again.
I live in Florida and this is the best time to ride with cool mornings and warm days so I haven't wanted to give it up.

no oil leaked on my last ride

No oil leaked on my last ride (and yes it does have oil in it).
I'll take it in after the holidays and have another look at it though.

Look for a oily line.

Even is you do not see drops of oil on the ground you still might have a main seal leak. Look on the right side where the transmission/clutch housing bolts up to the engine and see if you see a slight oily line. Wipe it really clean a cleaning agent and monitor if the line reappears after riding. If it does then you have a leaking seal. Good luck and Merry Christmas

This will be your second repair for the same problem and your third seal. Check on your states "lemon laws". For Tennessee the law states:
"A "Lemon" is a motor vehicle sold or leased after January 1, 1987, that has a defect or condition that substantially impairs the motor vehicle; and the manufacturer, its agent, or authorized dealer cannot repair the vehicle after three attempts or the vehicle is out of service for repairs for a cumulative total of 30 or more days during the term of protection. This Law is only applicable if the vehicle was bought new. Under the statute, the manufacturer must replace the motor vehicle or refund the purchase price (less a reasonable allowance for use)."

Based on my experience I would not hesitate to use the "lemon law", but you have to follow the guidelines.

Not all states' laws cover motorcycles.

2011 RT Warranty rear main seal failure too

Mine went at 6000 miles or so. They replaced the rear main, counter balance and output seal too because they were "weeping". Been in numerous times for other warranty repairs since but not seals. Now at 13500. Confidence gone though. 13 months old, been towed in 3 times for different things.

Back