• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1100RS Hard to Start

E

evans11

Need help folks, especially since my nearest dealer is 90 miles away.

I have a 96 model and have to hit the starter 18 - 20 times before it will start. I have changed plugs, dumped and refilled the tank, tried and additive all with no luck.

Thanks,

Does it cut out unexpectedly when riding?

Does it exhibit any performance oddities when riding such as low idle, sluggish response, surging, stalling, etc?

How has the maintenance been? Has it sat for extended periods and if so was Sta-Bil or the like used? What about the fuel filter, the air filter, etc?

After ten or so tries starting, pull a plug - is it wet? Strong spark from the plug?

Check the connector for the coolant sensor. It's found near the left frame down tube on your bike. They tend to corrode slightly, sometimes causing the Motronic to "substitute" a coolant temperature of 64 degrees.

Back