• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1990 K75S - bent bike - need some parts :(

jwetering

Yep, riding home today in traffic, I was looking everywhere but where I should have been and ran into the back of a Honda Civic.

Second gear - maybe 20 mph? Over the handlebars I went, landed on the roof of the Honda.

Wrenched my right shoulder, twisted my left thumb....extremely lucky to be basically unhurt.

The bike is ok - but neither good nor great...barely ok I guess. I've got a photo here, but it's not the greatest. I might be able to get a better one tomorrow, but I'm leaving town for a few weeks so no promises.

Two bent fork tubes, badly bent rim, and the belly pan and fairing are trashed.

I'm not too worried about the metal parts - I imagine they won't be too hard to find, but a marakesh red fairing and belly pan? Anyone??

What a drag, I feel like and idiot. Thank god it wasn't worse.

Attachments

• Vancouver-20121006-00211.jpg
    Vancouver-20121006-00211.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 160
That is so sad.
Count you blessings though.
It could have been much worse.
How did the people in the Honda take it?

When I was still in my teens, I rolled a 1969 Dodge Charger because I was not paying attention to what was going on. I wish I had that car now:(

Sorry to hear, basically unhurt is always the best outcome for these things :)

Your best bet on good replacement parts will be used parts recyclers (always my first preference), eBay, and online marketplaces like here on the MOA site, the IBMWR Marketplace, and ADVRider. Make sure to have your VIN handy (and also run it through a decoder for exact month/year of manufacture) so you get exact replacements.

The better used parts places I have found (and I have consistently found these places to have better quality for the price parts at much better prices than eBay sellers) are: kbikeparts.com, re-psycle.com, and beemerboneyard.com. I like buying from the resellers, you can call them and ask specific questions about condition and application, and they are usually very free with good advice on things like installation.

eBay is good but be ready to pay a premium used price for the "buy it now" guys, I usually go there when I know exactly what I need, when the recyclers are out of stock, and when I need it right now. I've also gotten burned a couple times on a seller's overenthusiastic opinion of a part's condition - usually not enough to go through the hassle of fighting over a return/refund but enough nonetheless.

Lastly the online marketplaces - while these are and have been full of Nigerian scammers for some time, they are great deals to be had and the bad guys are pretty easy to spot. Basically never, ever wire money to anyone with Western Union or Moneygram, and talk to the person you are buying from on the phone. Look up the seller on Anywho.com to make sure he is who he says he is, and google his email and phone number to see of there are any reports of scams. If you post a WTB on the MOA Marketplace you will inevitably get a scammer responding to you within 24 hours - read this thread before placing the ad.

Good luck with the repair!

Last edited:
I'm not too worried about the metal parts - I imagine they won't be too hard to find, but a marakesh red fairing and belly pan? Anyone??

Good to hear you did not get hurt more than you did.
If it was me I would buy any color and have them repainted.

Thanks for the sympathy gents.

Ted - great info. I've bought more than a few parts for my vehicles on-line over the years so am aware of the trips/risks etc, been lightly burned on condition once or twice but usually it's fine. In my case I'll be refurbishing the mechanical parts anyway.

Your links to the resellers is what I needed though so double plus super fantastic.

It's the damned tupperware that I'm not too optimistic about. Condition and colour will make the difference and if neither are fine then that calls for dollars to be spent and "ain't nobody got time for that".

Thanks again for the links Ted!:thumb

It's the damned tupperware that I'm not too optimistic about. Condition and colour will make the difference and if neither are fine then that calls for dollars to be spent and "ain't nobody got time for that".

Keep in mind, when buying 20 year old red panels that all the pieces may not match.
If you buy pieces from different bikes, they may have different degrees of sun fading.

You also might want to look at repairing - I know I epoxied the tabs/slots where the "S" fairing all comes together behind the turn signal on my K75S when it was knocked over. It not only held fine, I had to repeat the procedure on the other side when it was knocked over on the other side a year later.

You also might want to look at repairing - I know I epoxied the tabs/slots where the "S" fairing all comes together behind the turn signal on my K75S when it was knocked over. It not only held fine, I had to repeat the procedure on the other side when it was knocked over on the other side a year later.

It doesn't show in the photos, but it's pretty badly busted up.

Thanks though - I will be looking at it more closely when it comes all apart.

I have patched K100RS fairings with epoxy and body filler and had good results. The K100 fairings are fibreglass and are relatively easy to patch with common materials (I assume the K75S fairing is the same material). Match the paint and you are good to go. Red paint can sometimes be more difficult but I have managed to match my metallic red K100 by using Lordco's paint match gun and their chip charts.
Best of luck with the repairs.

It doesn't show in the photos, but it's pretty badly busted up.

Thanks though - I will be looking at it more closely when it comes all apart.

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. I may be able to help. Can say more on this thread, I do not want to be "warned" about solicitation.

Look at your PM.

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. I may be able to help. Can say more on this thread, I do not want to be "warned" about solicitation.

Look at your PM.

Thanks Ghyslain;

PM is entirely appropriate - but I *did* ask so it's not technically soliciting...I don't think. Anyway - thanks, I replied to your PM. :thumb

Gyber is correct to take this to PM. Actually requesting or offering parts for sale is not allowed on the forum: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=22971

BUT, I've thought that this has been a productive thread with sources and repair suggestions being offered. As long as it stays that way, with any offers of parts being restricted to PMs, I think we can let this continue. If you have specific requests for specific parts, please use the Flea Market section.

We all want to see you get your bike back on the road.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee;

I certainly don't want to bend the rules on this site. PM is just better for that sort of thing anyway

I'll stick to trials and tribulations as I go through my repairs when I post here..

I'd like to start today, but I'm unbelievably busy until November at least.

<groan>

How to fix or where to find (suppliers and recyclers) questions are what this forum is for. We'll help you all we can.

There is a guy down here in San Francisco parting out a K75C. You might ask him about forks and mechanicals. Will need to get some of the plastics somewhere else if you can't fix it. It is in SF Bay Area Craigslist.

David Sword

Cs use the same tubes and sliders as the early (pre-Showa fork [pre-8/91]) Ss, but some of the internals (springs, dampers, pre-load spacers) are different.

Your springs will be junk, so if you used the C tubes, you would still have to buy springs and use your dampers. So basically all you are using from the C is the upper tubes and you would need to rebuild your internals (not that expensive if you can do it yourself). I would recommend a nice set of Progressive Suspension front springs (about $90).

I believe that 2valve K100RS (Sport) forks after '85 are the same as K75S forks, but I'm not POSITIVE at the moment. The only difference is the upper triple clamp. Springs and dampening appear identical.

Cs use the same tubes and sliders as the early (pre-Showa fork [pre-8/91]) Ss, but some of the internals (springs, dampers, pre-load spacers) are different.

Your springs will be junk, so if you used the C tubes, you would still have to buy springs and use your dampers. So basically all you are using from the C is the upper tubes and you would need to rebuild your internals (not that expensive if you can do it yourself). I would recommend a nice set of Progressive Suspension front springs (about $90).

I believe that 2valve K100RS (Sport) forks after '85 are the same as K75S forks, but I'm not POSITIVE at the moment. The only difference is the upper triple clamp. Springs and dampening appear identical.

Back home!

I've stripped it all down, and the left and right fairing panels look like they *might* be repairable, but I'd really like to start with some nice straight pieces. Front centre panel - same. The inner piece is cracked and will have to be replaced..

Thanks for that great information on the forks. I have sourced a set of used forks from Quebec from a bike that was in a rear end collision. They've arrived already and look good.

Good news is that it was an S, so the springs will be appropriate (hadn't thought of that). I'll need to get some fork seals, and a new headset bearing and rebuild it all.
My old bearings were notched and I was going to rebuild the head over the winter so I would have been taking this all apart anyway. No harm no foul.

Bad news is that the fairings on that crashed bike are already sold...and it was even marakesh red !:banghead

For those of you who have offered part by PM - I will be in touch again soon as I figure out exactly what I need. I took it apart in the few spare moments I have so I haven't even really done the close inspection yet.

I'll try to get some photos up. It's getting dark sooner so that makes it a bit more tricky.

PS - I've been dreaming of doing a cafe/bobber conversion. Trying to figure out if that would be more or less work/$ than putting it back to stock. I would lose the utility of the saddle bags and windshield, but gain the cool points. A photo is attached of a rattier version f what I'd be going for.

I know this sort of thing isn't popular on this board - but that's one of the reasons I'm posting here - so you can talk me out of it!

Truth is I'd be in the market for another 75S pretty quick - they're just such damned good all-rounders.

Attachments

• IMG_20110817_142040.jpg
    IMG_20110817_142040.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 58
Back