• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

From K75RT to F800ST? Good Years?

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks,

I was approached today via a mutual friend by a motivated seller of a very low mile 2009 F800ST. I currently have a K75RT and I love its reliability, smooth engine, nimble handling (at more than 10mph LoL) and ease of maintenance. That said, at anything less than 10mph it is a real pig and a bit unwieldy. I am also constantly trying to shift into 6th gear at highway speeds :)

For anyone who has owned both I would sure appreciate your thoughts comparing the K75 and the F800ST, in terms of comfort (the F800ST has bar backs), all-day ridability, extended touring, handling, etc. Also, durability/reliability, any years better than others, etc. Lastly, I have seen some threads re: self-destructing rear end - was this improved/corrected at some point?

Thanks folks!

Ted

Ted,
I really can't address the 800, but your description of your K bike mirrored my experience with mine completely. I recently sold a '90 K75 and kept my R1150R because of those characteristics, especially the sixth speed issue. However, there is NOTHING as smooth as a K75.
I have been intrigued, with the 800 since it came out, but not yet convinced. I got home yesterday from 2100 mile trip on the R and all it really needs is a better windscreen.
Good luck with your search.

... I am also constantly trying to shift into 6th gear at highway speeds...

The K75's LOVE to run between 5000 and 7500 RPM.

Once you get used to doing 60mph in 4th gear, you start to realize 5 gears is all you need.

With about 75,000 miles on K75s, I still find myself longing for a 6th gear. Always have, and I am guessing I always will. I don't plan on selling the K75RT, I already made the mistake of selling a K75 once.

That said, I would appreciate hearing from folks who have owned both.

Heya Ted.
I cannot comment on the K75 but I can give you what I got on the FST.
I ride an '07. Under 10 mph handles very easily. No bar backs I let the wind do what it's supposed to at speed. (support)
There are varying opinions on the Rotax engine, I have no complaints.
Mileage is outstanding.
Find one if you can and give it a day ride, that's the definitive regardless what anyone says.

Back