• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What an RT mechanic said

if you go over to Pelicanparts.com's R1100S tech forum board, and do a search on input shaft failures/repairs, there is at least one very extensive writeup with pics and descriptions about how to address this issue.
beyond my pay grade, but given that info, a copetent machine shop could take care of the issue for much less than the $10K you guesstimated it to cost. and if done as part of the next failure's repair, it would probably be not that great a deal beyond what you would be doing for just the basic fix.

I disagree. You want to match engine rpm and transmission input shaft rpm which will minimize any slipping action in the clutch. You don't do this dumping the engine speed back down too far. Just up a little on downshifts, and down a little on upshifts.

Yes, when you get it right it's like an automatic transmission shifting. No big clutch or throttle inputs, just enough to unload the transmission and make a smooth, quick shift. I know I screwed it up if my passenger's helmet smacks me in the back of the head. :)

Match the RPM

I guess I'm just repeating what Paul Glaves said, nut I have been riding Beemers since 1974, including many years in the daily commute, and have never had to replace a clutch. Once you have the feel for your bike (and my first one had no tach) it is easy to match the engine revs for the next gear, up or down, with what the road speed and gear selection demand. Leisurely acceleration or full throttle, I rarely mismatch. The only significant wear on the clutch is taking off from a standstill, and I am careful to minimize the time spent in the slip portion. I've put as many as 85K on my bikes, and the next owner never reported any clutch problems back to me.

I think this is accurate. Back in my previous life I was a Service Manager for a British Leyland auto dealer. Certain customers could be relied upon to have problems; others, hardly anything. I believe much of it was poor habits.

I couldn't agree more with this post and the one that it quoted. Having come from the police universe some are much harder on bikes/vehicles than others.

If you want to bag the unit, its only going to take so much and then it will cost you.

I'm convinced that's what's wrong with my bike, and that's why there are so many anecdotal reports of clutch input shafts failing. It's quite obvious that a certain % of Oilheads has a misalingment between the engine casing and the transmission housing, but BMW refuses to acknowledge this issue, and of course refuses to remedy the problem.

If I had an extra $10,000 laying around, I'd hire an engineer and a machine shop to get the misalignment quantified and fixed - but since I don't have those resources, I'll just put in a new clutch input shaft every 30-40k miles and let BMW keep telling me my bike doesn't have a defect that originated in Berlin.

You may want to try a known-good used transmission next time. That's what I'm doing. Fingers crossed.

You may want to try a known-good used transmission next time. That's what I'm doing. Fingers crossed.

Seems like a good idea. In nearly 50 years of car ownership I've never worried about driveshaft spline wear. The big difference is that there is no possibility of mis-alignment induced motion between two halves. I guess if the alignment were perfect we'd see virtually no wear on the clutch splines on our bikes.

I see that BMW finally bit the bullet and designed that out of the new 1200GS.

The most "complex" technical problem I had on my '99 R1100RT so far, was the failure of the front brake rotor pucks at 36,000 miles. Replaced them myself.

Back