Thread: 1989 - 1995 model year diferences

Nick Kennedy

1989 - 1995 model year diferences

Hi Gents
    Shopping for late model R100 RT airhead...

Question: Are there any major or minor differences in the years of 1989 - 1995 manufacture of the R100 RT ?

Thanks In Advance

Nick Kennedy

There is only one I am aware of. In 91 they went from 13mm to a 14mm master cylinder.
    www.boxermetal.com
    www.facebook.com/boxermetal
    VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694, ABC #600
    Hi my name is Chris and I am a slash-five-o-holic.

A true '95 should have the circlip on the transmission input shaft.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Things that come to mind are minor. Slightly different seat cushion shape over the years. Later models often have the Integral type side cases (sometimes see the older City cases on the Integral mounting frames as well), the Ignition Control Unit bonded to its heat-sink, silver wheel finish (vs. black), Valeo (vs. Bosch) starter, and 14mm master cylinder as mentioned (vs. 13mm). Most of the later model "upgrades" kicked in late in the 1989 model year. Around the 1995 model year the transmission regained the infamous "circlip", but quite when seems to be shrouded in mystery. Probably some other details as well.
    Mark

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s ~ Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s

There's some minor differences in the main electrical harness. In 1/91 the wiring harness was changed from the older fuse type to the blade type. I believe they separated the electrical system into three fused circuits instead of two. I would not let this be a deciding factor. In fact, the later harness will fit on the earlier bikes. However, neither harness is available from BMW. They are NLA.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Nick Kennedy
    Thanks guys, for the advice, once again.

As I'm sure you've seen there have been a couple of real sweet looking machines come up for sale this summer/fall.

Cheers
    Nick Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    Thanks guys, for the advice, once again.

As I'm sure you've seen there have been a couple of real sweet looking machines come up for sale this summer/fall.

Cheers
    Nick Kennedy
    How true! I'm flying out Tuesday to pick up a '94 RT and riding it to it's new home.
    Mike Barfield - Plant City, FL
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts