• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

'95 R100RT gas mileage

dickotten

I'm fond of my '95 R100RT; but according to all the info I have come across, it gets lousy mileage. Every source claims about 52-54 mpg at a steady 55mph or so. I am not an aggresive rider. Most would say timid. My route to rural riding is through about 5 miles of 45mph town streets (no stop and go) and then open country for a leisurely ride. My last ride reflects what I have been getting every time I check mileage. From a full tank I put on 161 miles and needed 4.3 gallons to top off. Less than 40 mpg. Bike has had very recent dealer service with no problems reported, and plugs show no sign of running rich. Any ideas. thanks - Dick Otten SW Florida

Probably wouldn't take much of an off-setting to make a difference but not see it on the plugs. Maybe the jet needle or needle jet is worn the carb...sounds like you run around mid-throttle most of the time which is the needle part of the circuit. Maybe you're choke doesn't go all the way off. I would hope the air filter is reasonably clean. Tire pressures? There's always a lot of discussion about that...I think the popular thing to do is rund 34 front and 36-38 in the rear, depending on weight and stuff being carried.

I'm fond of my '95 R100RT; but according to all the info I have come across, it gets lousy mileage. Every source claims about 52-54 mpg at a steady 55mph or so. I am not an aggresive rider. Most would say timid. My route to rural riding is through about 5 miles of 45mph town streets (no stop and go) and then open country for a leisurely ride. My last ride reflects what I have been getting every time I check mileage. From a full tank I put on 161 miles and needed 4.3 gallons to top off. Less than 40 mpg. Bike has had very recent dealer service with no problems reported, and plugs show no sign of running rich. Any ideas. thanks - Dick Otten SW Florida

The only time I've ever gotten over 40 MPG on either of the R100's I've owned is when I've been able to use non-ethanol gas and put on steady highway miles. My commuting has always resulted in less than 40 MPG, usually around 35 or 36.

I've got no good technical information for you Dick, I'll leave that to the good folks on here who can give it to you accurately. However, I think there are many more folks who get far less than 50 MPG than those who do on their R100's.

I'd agree with Braddog. I have lately been commuting on a newly rehabilitated 1988 R100RS. While I HAVE been riding it in a spirited fashion, the mileage is running in the mid-30's in MPG. By contrast, My R75/5 gets well into the 40's regardless of riding style.

This subject has been discussed numerous times over the last five or so years. You may want to search for previous discussions. I have an 88 R100 RT. The bike averages in the mid-30's. The monoshock R100's with the 32mm carbs tend to get lower MPG than their predecessors. From what I've gathered on this forum and Boxerworks, is that mid-30's seems to be typical for late model R100's.

On a side note: Bing recommends changing the idle jet, main jet, and needle jet. They claim the bikes were jetted lean for emissions. When I got the bike, I rejetted the carbs to Bing's recommendations. I have since jetted them back to stock, but I haven't put enough miles on it to see if it makes a difference.

Edit: as for ideas...stop worrying about MPG, enjoy riding the bike, and ride it like you stole it.

Thanks for the info. I guess the 54 mpg came from some fantasy world, or all downhill riding.

Dick,

Maybe the 54mpg fantasy is simply accounted for in the difference between a UK (Imperial) gallon and a US gallon. A UK gallon is 1.2 US gallon. Therefore, 54 miles per UK gallon = 45 miles per US gallon.

Talking US mpg, my regular commuting run on my 36,000-mile 1994 R100RT is a 15 miles one way trip that is half surface streets and half highway. Here, 33mpg is the norm using 87 octane gas containing 10% ethanol. 36mpg is the norm on longer local journeys that combine urban and suburban runs. Long runs with a light load and light throttle will see 40 to 42mpg.

In normal riding my 22,000-mile 1993 R100R shows up to 3mpg better economy under similar duties. I think that this is attributable to the fact that the RTÔÇÖs fairing disguises speed/acceleration, so I tend to run a little faster/harder riding it than my naked R.

An improvement would be to replace the slide needles and needle jets. It's one of those never thought about wear items. I have seen positive results in doing so.

An improvement would be to replace the slide needles and needle jets. It's one of those never thought about wear items. I have seen positive results in doing so.

Apart from any touring I do, my commute to work is a standard benchmark for gas mileage. I was getting 42 MPG, after new needle and jet that went to 45 MPG.
that's better than 5%, well worth the effort. Toss in new diaphragms while you are in there and maybe some floats too!!

Note: Commute is flat, constant speed of 60 mph and Imperial gallon (ie 4.55 litres). Premium fuel (90 octane), no ethanol.

Apart from any touring I do, my commute to work is a standard benchmark for gas mileage. I was getting 42 MPG, after new needle and jet that went to 45 MPG.
that's better than 5%, well worth the effort. Toss in new diaphragms while you are in there and maybe some floats too!!

Note: Commute is flat, constant speed of 60 mph and Imperial gallon (ie 4.55 litres). Premium fuel (90 octane), no ethanol.

42 miles per UK/Imperial gallon = 35 miles per US gallon
45 miles per UK/Imperial gallon = 38 miles per US gallon

If I get to run gas with no ethanol, economy improves maybe as much as 10% (do not really have a lot of data on running with "pure" gas).

I see no difference in fuel economy when I have experimented with running my "stock" 87 octane "Regular" (remember this is the US, so octane is [RON+MON]/2) and Mid-Grade and Premium rated gas.

Agreed, that new needle and jets can make a difference. It made a noticeable difference on the R65 I used to own, but I never tracked fuel economy on that bike so cannot quantify further.

I have a 94 R100RT and have been keeping track of my mileage. I'm not a constant tourer but I have kept track of my long distance, constant 70-80mph rides and I get about 42mpg. I do add a bit of Seafoam every other tank and I run Iridium plugs. The gas we get in Michigan all seems to have a Ethanol in it and octane can't be counted on to be accurate. I'm not sure if the plugs will make a difference - a guru can let me know about that... Good travels..

Peter

My recently purchased 2004 R1150RT is getting 38mpg. without speeding. We have 10% Ethanol here in NJ. I can live with it.

Mileage is a mugs game. All kinds of claims but in actual fact it varies greatly depending on the way you ride the bike. No 2 people are going to get the same mileage.

If you want to find out the actual mileage, fill the tank to its maximum, set your trip meter to zero go for a 150-200 mile ride on the highway/intersate, stop fill up the tank to the same level and do the return trip,then fill it up again. That will give you a pretty good idea of what mileage you are actually getting.

It's been my experience that you can see a 5 mpg difference just to wind/temp conditions, so if you are in the range of 40-45 you are doing fine.

My 81 r100RT has averaged between 44 and 46 in general. Gotten higher on occasion
Bike has 164K on it and it has had the needles and needle jets changed on occasion. I even went to richer needle jets over stock years ago.

It lives in flat Ohio

On my 475 miles ÔÇ£mountainÔÇØ camping trip this past weekend I averaged 38.4 mpg on my 37,000 mile 1994 R100RT. Gentle run up from Atlanta, then twisty low/mid-gear runs that included Cherohala Skyway (5,300 ft elev.) and Wayah Rd. type loops. Average was 40.2 mpg. Some more low/mid-gear twisties followed by a very brisk major highway run back to Atlanta dropped the overall consumption. Fairly typical results for me.

Back