• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2012 GS 1200 Adventure 5th gear drone sound

sbockelie

Bockscar
My GS 1200 Adventure {4500 miles on it} makes a cyclic droning sound in 5th gear. It has since new. I havent been able to compare or ask anyone else if theirs does. Havent asked the Service Dept. yet. Thoughts? Steve In Edmonds Wa.

More probable this;

I have used every tire there is on GSs through a very long run, from 1982 800GS to present GSA1200. Some tires "do this" much moreso than others and I figure your rear tire is the noise maker. Its a rare day to find a tranny doing this, BUT? You may be right, so don't dismiss anything YET! My current Metzlers(Tourances) are indeed noisier than my previous BS BattleWings of which I have run dozens of both. Droning CAN be the tires, so listen closely and I am "not sure" you could tell where its coming from, tranny or tire? IF I had any question in my mind as to my trannies health, I WOULD indeed drain it more often and look for telltale signs in the oil coming out of it! If its clean, no worries, I say:). At 4500 milkes, you are still in breakin for a good while yet, so its good to keep a close watch and ask....Good luck, Randy

Fyi;

A tire drone will come and go with different speeds, so 5th gear is not top gear and you can investigate accordingly. It goes away in 6th, as soon as you hit 6th, same speed? Good questions!. Try 4th, same speed. Vary it and try to narrow it down to results. Maybe this is a good way to narrow the field of guesswork:), tire vs. tranny drone. Your best end all, is the bike is still a warranty bike, so BMW is on the hook, although a pain in the heart. Randy:usa

The cyclic nature you describe is a possible clue.

I had the same problem with my R1200R when one of my O2 sensor wires was intermittently grounding out to the transmission housing. The wiring harness had been installed so the bundle of wires that have the O2 wiring in it were pressing against a rounded corner of the transmission case.

The cyclic/drone drove me nutty - and it only did it in 5th gear. Once I found the worn insulation on the wires (found it with a GS-911 by monitoring the O2 sensor output), the drone was gone.

I suspect the cause was the lack of the O2 sensor on that side was causing the ECU to go to a default fuel mixture .. but the ECU probably kept trying to read the O2 sensor output voltage causing the mixture to go lean/rich/lean/rich.. Why it was only noticeable in 5th baffles me, but that's what happened, and it's been gone now for about 2-3 years and 30,000 miles or so.

My GS 1200 Adventure {4500 miles on it} makes a cyclic droning sound in 5th gear. It has since new. I havent been able to compare or ask anyone else if theirs does. Havent asked the Service Dept. yet. Thoughts? Steve In Edmonds Wa.

I had this with my '07 GSADV, at about the same miles as you note. Over a few thousand miles, as I approached 8-10K miles it started to vanish. For me, I believe it was just engine tightness. By 12K miles it was buttery smooth, and the cyclic droning sound has never returned.

I too;

Still own a '07GSA but never heard the drone. The wiring thing is a wierd one. It may be a miles thing too, break it in, keep riding. The older R boxes had straight cut gears, 1 thru 4th and 5th was slant cut gear for this purpose, noise reduction. I do not know about the new trannies, if all gears are the same or what? YOU MAY wish to change the oil to a good synthetic, which it should have already in it, BUT! 75-140w is whats called for. You can also BUY a magnet plug for the drain hole and monitor it at changes, for debris. I know a LOT of owners doing this, including me. Randy:usa

Still own a '07GSA but never heard the drone. The wiring thing is a wierd one. It may be a miles thing too, break it in, keep riding. The older R boxes had straight cut gears, 1 thru 4th and 5th was slant cut gear for this purpose, noise reduction. I do not know about the new trannies, if all gears are the same or what? YOU MAY wish to change the oil to a good synthetic, which it should have already in it, BUT! 75-140w is whats called for. You can also BUY a magnet plug for the drain hole and monitor it at changes, for debris. I know a LOT of owners doing this, including me. Randy:usa

The owners manual for my 2012 R1200GSA says NO SYNTHETIC OIL for the first 12,000 miles. The manual says synthetic is too slippery to allow the engine to properly break-in. After the first 12,000 miles on dinosaur oil, you can switch over to synthetic oil.

The owners manual for my 2012 R1200GSA says NO SYNTHETIC OIL for the first 12,000 miles. The manual says synthetic is too slippery to allow the engine to properly break-in. After the first 12,000 miles on dinosaur oil, you can switch over to synthetic oil.

The discussion was about transmission gear oil, not engine lube. I believe, but could be wrong, that the transmission gets synthetic gear oil straight from the factory. Yes? No? :ear

As for the no synthetic in the engine... Doesn't your owners manual also specifically recommend Castrol GPS SAE 10W-40? That is a semi-synth oil.

As pointed out - that used to refer to engine oil, not transmission oil. It was my understanding that the new cam-head engines came from the factory with synthetic oil.. can you quote the owners manual exactly?

As pointed out - that used to refer to engine oil, not transmission oil. It was my understanding that the new cam-head engines came from the factory with synthetic oil.. can you quote the owners manual exactly?

I thought I was in luck, as I rode the GSA in this morning instead of the RTP. I just looked through the "Rider's Manual" and discovered no mention of synthetic vs. dinosaur oil. Then I remembered my source - Mark Eddy, Service Manager at Ride West BMW.

I attended a "new owner's orientation" shortly after taking delivery of the GSA. Mostly it was a pitch to have your service done at the dealer, but the techs were around to answer questions, the dinner was free, and there were free detailing kits and cargo nets for attendees.

One of the new K16 owners was bitching about the cost of an oil change, as the new K16 bikes come from the factory filled with five quarts of synthetic oil. Mark began a discussion of the unique aspects of K16 engines vs. K13 engines vs. RR engines vs. boxer engines vs. G/F engines and how they all have different oil capacity and viscosity requirements - and that boxer engines break-in the slowest of all BMW engines, and thus to hasten the break-in process (that takes far longer than the first 600 miles), one shouldn't run synthetic in a boxer until the engine has at least 12k miles on the odometer.

I apologize for the confusion, but I'm grateful I've remembered the source of my data - senility is dealt yet another set-back! :gerg

P.S. All BMW motorcycle rider's manuals are available here for download as PDF files: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html&notrack=1

Last edited:
The service manager and lead BMW tech at my BMW Motorrad dealer have told me to only run full synthetic in my GS. And that's all the parts department will sell you for a GS.

My new GS drones a bit. I don't think it is anything wrong...it does seem like tires.

I generally switch to synth by the first oil change...like 500 miles. No problem with that in a dozen bikes or so.

I have a 2012 R1200GS and have also noticed a drone that I can hear only in 5th gear. I assume it is just that the engine and transmission are in a certain harmonic in that gear. I haven`t asked the dealer about it either, but I assume that it is normal and is not a problem.

Dave McDougall

5th gear drone update GS 1200 Adventure

Here's an update of sorts on my 5th gear drone sound. I took it to the dealer. Ride West in Seattle. a very reputable shop. Anyhoo, the Service manager took it for a spin { A too short one I think as my GPS tracked his route} He thought my aftermarket skid plate could be a responder for a harmonic vibration, & suggested I take it off & drive it. He also said he wasnt quite sure if he heard it at all. Well, I had already considerd this hypothesis, But didnt tell him that. I agreed to try it. I hear it quite well, but am probably very tuned to it, pardon the pun. I have worked for Automotive dealerships as a tech for many years & realize that unless it's obviously broken, Dealerships are hesitant to dive in, as the warrantee claim could get denied by the manufacturer if upon post mortem they dont find the smoking gun. Plus there are a lot of customers with wild imaginations out there that hear ghosts. Well, I removed the skid plate, drone is still there. Mabe it is an Engine / Trans harmonic that will go away in time. I have 2 years of warrantee left to find out. 4600 miles on the clock now. Drone sounds like a wheel bearing in a car going out. Whaa Whaa sound in 5th only. No metal in the trans oil when I changed it, but I understand the bearings are sealed. signed, skeptical.

Could be this!

I have done anatomy research, reading up and all:), and find no two folks have the same ability to hear the same sounds all the time? You may hear it, another may not. That said, its likely there, because you hear it! The question is is it doing damage anywhere down there in the inner workings of your bike? Following all the above previous posts suggestions may well be the best here. Document it with your BMW Dealer and IF the warranty goes past, the complaint was filled before so. Something fails, they eat it, imo. Oil usage in engine comments; I used syns years ago, until they got $cost$ prohibitive, still do in tranny and FD, but engine gets regular oil for probably the last 250000miles. Thats a few bikes, with no issues at all. Syns are a great product, but until they get reasonably priced again, I'm out, don't shop for it. Randy:usa

Back