• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

82 r65/100 hybrid fairing quest

beater

This is probably blasphemy, but I am considering other makes fairings to adapt to the r65. I don't like the mad max look of a lot of the frame mount fairings of the era, and vettas are only good for cb's (lol)

I have stumbled on the hondaline factory fairing used on the sabres, cbx, and vf series -

Am I nuts for considering this? I am a certified welder, so modifying the honda mount shouldn't be an issue, or any other make for that matter. I have considered a ducati ss, but I think it's too racy looking, and as I have one, I can attest there is not much practical bubble at speed (touring)

Anyone else have any other ideas for a frame mount? RS is the obvious choice, but they seem to cost 1/3 of my bike.

Here is the style I am considering

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...3590720?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1c2bc7adc0

Wow, I had a bike like that...an '82 in red just like the picture. Man that was fun...probably could have gotten me killed! Despite that, I wished I had it back... :(

From what I can remember, the fairing worked out well...I think the mirrors were decent and stable.

and vettas are only good for cb's (lol)

what are cb's :scratch

I'm kinda partial to Pichler. There are a couple on eBay right now.

exskat11.jpg

The K75 fairing was nice...

1330226585_a708e3ae62.jpg

If you want a real bubble there's Hannigan

1073554031_vuZKM-S.jpg

I'd buy this today, if I could.

1969-Series1600-on-stand.jpg

1073554031_vuZKM-S.jpg

I'd buy this today, if I could.

[/QUOTE]

I know where there is one....as of a couple of days ago...

Mac

well, it seems I am the proud owner of a hannigan. Even have a line on a stock rs fairing... we'll see which one wins.

i know the hannigans are great supposedly, but it just looks so "mad max" lol

j

Nuts?

No..no..These Honda fairings are pretty cool. But , my opinion is, you cannot beat the RT and RS fairings with that kinda Batman look about them. I'll put my brain back in it's box now. Do what you like!

No..no..These Honda fairings are pretty cool. But , my opinion is, you cannot beat the RT and RS fairings with that kinda Batman look about them. I'll put my brain back in it's box now. Do what you like!

dude - I think the rs/rt is way better as well. however, people be real proud of them, so we'll see what karma brings me. Enough people love the hannigans, so if I need to sell it for what I paid, so be it!

the 5/6/7 crowd seems to rule out here, that and the gs'rs. the std airheads seem to be hard to find accessories for around colorado.

j

Mac! I missed your post re: knowing where one of these might be. If it isn't too much of a hassle, could you do a little follow-up for me?

This fairing is a Vetter S1600. Knowing it's overall condition, whether it still has a windshield, and what bike it is/was fitted on would be helpful.
I'm not too surprised that there's one near you; we made them in Rantoul.

Thanks.

Lew

There used to be one of the Vetter Phantoms (that's one my memory says it was called) on the parts room wall at Bobs BMW. If it's not still ther, I'll bet Bob knows where it went. Had to be the coolest looking fairing Vetter ever did.

I really enjoy my Hannigan ST fairing. Bought another windshield for it recently and supposedly they are still being made. It is 100% fiberglass, built like a boat hull. I think mine weights ~30 lb (it is hollow) and attaches to the frame just in front of the engine.

FWIW, my recent quest for mirrors led me to Ken Sean ZX fairing mount mirrors. Back in the 90's I upgraded from a Wixom and was looking for a RS type fairing, but the cost was excessive. So, I got some RS bars and added the ST. I generally don't put on the lowers. Here is a photo before changing the mirrors:

Attachments

• BMWMC_left.jpg
    BMWMC_left.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 103
There used to be one of the Vetter Phantoms (that's one my memory says it was called) on the parts room wall at Bobs BMW. ... Had to be the coolest looking fairing Vetter ever did.

I tend to agree; lighter than the WJ too.

If it's at Bob's it might be a 2000s; for BMWs. We didn't make many at all. At the time there were only three guys who rode BMWs at Vetters...

I really enjoy my Hannigan ST fairing. Bought another windshield for it recently and supposedly they are still being made. It is 100% fiberglass, built like a boat hull. I think mine weights ~30 lb (it is hollow) and attaches to the frame just in front of the engine.

FWIW, my recent quest for mirrors led me to Ken Sean ZX fairing mount mirrors. Back in the 90's I upgraded from a Wixom and was looking for a RS type fairing, but the cost was excessive. So, I got some RS bars and added the ST. I generally don't put on the lowers. Here is a photo before changing the mirrors:

I am hoping my bars will be ok, they are a mid rise on the r65, lower than the us spec r100's, and slightly higher than the euro/flat bars. I guess we'll see!

j

Back