• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R75/5 H4 headlight?

S

stucknarut

The project bike I'm working on came with a great big vetter fairing, which I've removed. I'm left with no front headlight or chrome ring. Is there an H4 kit complete with lens and chrome ring that won't break the bank? Needing something fairly quickly so if it could be sourced locally that would be ideal.

Ebay is your good friend. I was on the same bout as you are 2 years ago, and I believe it would be around $100~150 range.

I have heard!!!

I have heard but not tried it myself that R 65 any year guts, lens, reflector and chrome ring fit and work.

I have heard but not tried it myself that R 65 any year guts, lens, reflector and chrome ring fit and work.

There's one of those on ebay right now...can someone confirm that? Size seems to be similar.

/5 H4 conversion

/6 parts will not work. You need parts from a 80's R65 or R80ST or R80GS.
You need bulb, reflector, lens, lens gasket,clips and chrome ring.
Try: bmwhuckys.com , bemmer boneyard, Bobs BMW etc. and e-bay of course.
Good Luck
The Lonerider

If you order from Hucky you need to be aware that he offers two versions of H4.

One is OEM, with metal reflector.

The other (below) has a plastic reflector and bonded-in glass lens and it has a "park" lamp; $115. It is a bit of a loose fit in the head light ring so order extra headlight clips (3 is standard issue (none are included)) I bought this one and it seems to be holding up okay. One thing about I do not care for is that the plastic reflector shell allows some light to enter the inside of the head light nacelle which illuminates the turn signal bezel. Not as brightly as when the turn signal is "on", but enough that it is noticeable (and a bit annoying) after dark.

0763Rkit012.jpg

They both use the "standard" H4 bulb.

Another $52 gets you the ring

And another $11 gets you three clips

63121357468SS.jpg

Out the door with shipping, somewhere near $200 vs. $450.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Hucky's in any way.

Here's what it looks like installed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 235
One thing about I do not care for is that the plastic reflector shell allows some light to enter the inside of the head light nacelle which illuminates the turn signal bezel. Not as brightly as when the turn signal is "on", but enough that it is noticeable (and a bit annoying) after dark.

Lew,

Couldn't you remove the light assembly, and paint the lens/reflector joint with some black enamel? When remounted, the paint would be hidden behind the chrome bezel, and would reduce or eliminate the light scatter inside the headlight bucket.

I see that Motorrad Elektrik has recently started selling a Bosch 190MM headlight assembly for $150. That's the lens, chrome ring and reflector bucket plus misc rubber and wire bits. Kinda pricy if all you need is the ring...

I can confirm that the headlight ring, reflector with H4 bulb from 1980 R65
does fit and function properly on 1971 R75/5

The chrome ring from the R65 has a little different look - not so smoothly rounded
but fits just fine - in fact better than the original R75/5 because of the screw retainer
system at the bottom on the R65 instead of just the press on tang

I had these two bikes parked next to each other and did the switch after reading this post
Had been thinking of trying it anyway since the R65 is a dead duck and the R75 is good

The PO of my R60/5 stuck an H4 in the stock reflector. It takes a little fussing to get it to sit straight and seam to work fine. The next best thing would be to replace the lens with one from 79-84 R65.

The original post indicates what is needed is ring, reflector and bulb because these parts
were lost when Vetter fairing was installed

So in my opinion if only good function and not show correctness is desired he should buy
a ring, reflector and bulb for R65 rather than the parts needed to convert the /5 to H4

The R65 part is superior in function due to screw retainer at bottom and probably cut/focus of the
glass

Forgot to mention that if you use the R65 light and want the parking lamp to work you will also
need the parking lamp holder from the R65 also

The original post indicates what is needed is ring, reflector and bulb because these parts
were lost when Vetter fairing was installed

So in my opinion if only good function and not show correctness is desired he should buy
a ring, reflector and bulb for R65 rather than the parts needed to convert the /5 to H4

The R65 part is superior in function due to screw retainer at bottom and probably cut/focus of the
glass

Forgot to mention that if you use the R65 light and want the parking lamp to work you will also
need the parking lamp holder from the R65 also

Those parts new from BMW are over $500.00. I would go with the aftermarket ones.

Thanks for all the advice. I neglected to mention, I'm also on something of a tight schedule, as I would like to ride the bike to Barber next week. Ebay is out since nothing available within that timeframe. I was able to find a loaner /5 lens, ring, and reflector nearby which will do for now. I'd still like to go H4 in future; maybe I'll shop my way around the swap meet next week.

My R75/5 came with an H4 setup from the PO, but I have no idea where it came from. Can anyone ID it? Hard to tell in the photo, but it's a greenish metal back.

LPApLl.jpg

XflPNl.jpg

Sure 'nuff.

Looking closer at Hucky's lighting section, it also appears to be the very same lens he offers: 63 12 1 356 280

The only question mark for me is the reflector. No markings to indicate where it's from. It doesn't have a place for a marker light, which caused me no small amount of consternation when trying to match the wiring to a diagram.

Sure 'nuff.

Looking closer at Hucky's lighting section, it also appears to be the very same lens he offers: 63 12 1 356 280

The only question mark for me is the reflector. No markings to indicate where it's from. It doesn't have a place for a marker light, which caused me no small amount of consternation when trying to match the wiring to a diagram.

I sold these for years. they are a good cheap part made either in Poland or the Chez Republic.

What is the spring for in Hucky's H4 kit? I see that there are two holes on the retaining plate but I can't figure out how the spring ties into them.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 85
Lew, is that the same reflector (directly above) that you have that lets light through into the bucket so at night you have a faint glow through the indicator light lenses? If so, is now the time to paint it black?

Barron

Back