• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motobins Seat Replacement for R75/5?

jbf

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with the motobins Dual grab handle seat for an R75/5? Im trying to find a nice replacement for my 1971 R75/5 seat. I wanted to purchase a period correct seat (with the correct foam/metal pan/etc).

The only one i've found so far that looks like it could be correct is the motobins seat, but I cant tell from the website how the seat actually looks.

Anyone had experience with this? Is the pan metal? Is the upholstery/foam good?

I've seen a few R75/5 seats lately that are all ballooned out and dont have a good shape. Wanted to make sure that this seat actually had the proper shape and.

Is the pan metal?

When I was looking for a replacement seat for my 88 R100 RT, I emailed them and asked if the pan was metal or fiberglass. The response was fiberglass. Now my seat is different than what would fit on yours, but it's possible that the seat pan is fiberglass. If you're really curious, shoot them an email.

FWIW, I searched Ebay for several months and got lucky I was able to purchase a good used seat for about $80 delivered to me.

I have not seen the Motobins seats, but if they are the ones made in England I have never been a fan of the quality. The best seat you can buy is from www.siebenrock.com

Siebenrock does not carry seats for the /5.

I am looking for the proper foam/seatpan/etc for the R75/5 early 70s model.

I guess Ill just have to keep looking on ebay. I have yet to see a proper seat on ebay before though. Hope I can find one.

I have the Siebenrock seat (first one listed for the/5 LWB and early /6). I bought it in 2007.

It was a comprimise for me at the time. I wanted an original looking seat, but couldn't afford a full rebuild (my original seat is past worn out). I was living in Germany at the time and I drove to Stuttgart and picked it up, so my cost didn't include the shipping.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't go with the Siebenrock. It looks ok from a short distance, but the foam is really, really hard and when you look at it from the rear, the panels and the rail are crooked. It isn't a metal pan and it flexes. Also, it doesn't have the attachment points for the rectangular "badge" at the back. I think it was made in Poland.

So, on the redo, I would probably invest just slightly more to get a better replacement - or, I would consider the Sargent replacement foam and cover.

One other thing - two years back, I was considering replacing the seat again and wrote a couple of times to Rick Mayer because I was intrigued about the possibility of getting a stock look leather seat. From the pictures and descriptions on his web site, it looks like a service he offers. But, other than an initial reply, I got no responses to my follow up request for confirmation of the stock style and construction time.

Seems like a real challenge to get good quality replacement of rebuilt seat with original styling?

Barron

I found these guys: http://www.sargentcycle.com/classic.htm when looking for a new seat cover. They sell the pans, foam, and complete seat as well. I ended up getting a seat cover from Motobins that was a bit less expensive, but does not have the BMW embossing on the back for my /7. After removing and cleaning all the cover fasteners along with getting new trim, the cover replacement winter project is ready to go. I am still waffling over using some 3M foam spray adhesive, but think it probably be best to not.

Maybe Motobins can send more photos and information about their products upon request?

I found these guys: http://www.sargentcycle.com/classic.htm when looking for a new seat cover. They sell the pans, foam, and complete seat as well. I ended up getting a seat cover from Motobins that was a bit less expensive, but does not have the BMW embossing on the back for my /7. After removing and cleaning all the cover fasteners along with getting new trim, the cover replacement winter project is ready to go. I am still waffling over using some 3M foam spray adhesive, but think it probably be best to not.

Maybe Motobins can send more photos and information about their products upon request?

If I'm not mistaken Sargents gets their seats and parts from a company in England and I don't care for the quality compared to the Siebenrock seats or the Polish ones from S.Meyer on eBay. I say this because I used to buy from the Engish company for years and Saregents was buying from me.

I bought a complete seat/pan/rails for my 1970 75/5 about 4 years ago from Sargents. I have no complaints, it looks good and has held up well. I don't know about the other companies, but I think it looks original.

Back