• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

GS-911 and old Blackberry

D

dstuckmann

I aquired a old Blackberry that is no longer activated. Is there a way to get the GS-911 software loaded on it?

Looked at that

Thanx, but I checked that before I posted. It seems that will only work if the phone is active. Since the phone is not active, it does not have access to email, internet, etc.

I was hoping to find the full software and get it dumped to the phone somehow (Bluetooth?) so that is would run the GS-911. I would like to make the old Blackberry part of my tool kit with the GS-911...

Can you borrow a SIM card from a working phone long enough to download the GS911 software? Or try asking your question on the Hexcode support forum.

Larry

does your blackberry have wifi? That might make it easier. Otherwise my guess is you'll have to borrow a sim card from someone or turn it on for a bit.

Also, be alert to putting this into your toolkit and then finding the battery dead when you need it most. Using active phones/devices that are always kept charged for use makes the battery issue a little less sensitive.

Which model of BB are you working with? The above poster is correct that most BBs have wifi so you can turn that on and perhaps bring the file you need over from a laptop that you have downloaded it to on your home network. If that is not possible, it might be worth it to fire it up and pay for a month of service simply to download the file and get it working. I did this a couple years ago and now carry the BB with me (with a charger that can be plugged in at a motel stop to keep it fresh), then use bluetooth to connect to the bike when/if you need it.

If you have wifi

This worked for me.

You should be able to enable wifi on your BB go to the browser and type in the address and download the app. Be aware that after you go in and get the address for the download it is time sensitive and can only be used for a limited amount of time before you have to go in again and get a new address.

911 question?

I sure have seen'em around and adverstised, BUT? I've never had the reason to own a 911 device. Are they that needed out there, ya'll having issues with BMW bikes enough to need the reader. I've been riding the newer BMWs now for several 100 thousands of miles, not needing a 911 rescue reader, so AM I lucky or should I go looking for my own? Randy:usa

Randy, I think your experience is quit typical but I don't have as may miles as you do and do carry a GS911. Never had an issue either in my 90K Kms on our RTs but it is like a security blanket. I do use it to reset service interval and run a check after any maintenance that I do. I figure due to the wide spacing of BMW shops in the west of North America that If I run into any trouble I can't handle on my own that this unit might help inform any other mechanic as to where to look for issues as well. Some of us are worry warts (like me). :blush

I sure have seen'em around and adverstised, BUT? I've never had the reason to own a 911 device. Are they that needed out there, ya'll having issues with BMW bikes enough to need the reader.

For me it's worth having one just to reset the service reminder. We live 180 miles from the dealer, so 360 mile round trip to the dealer times two bikes takes $65 in gas. I don't know what a dealer charges to plug the bike into the computer, but lets guess $30. This puts me over $120 for each time our service reminders need to be reset.

OP, did it work?

I have a 911 and since i'm an iphone guy, been thinking about the 'buy an old BB' route too. I had thought i could either:

1. download directly to the BB via wifi, or
2. download to my computer then transfer to the BB via USB cable.
Seeing this query makes me worried that this might not work. So, OP, any luck?

And as for why the investment in the first place, for me it's the electrical gremlins on my bike that necessitate too-frequent ABS reset that made buying one worthwhile. My local dealer charges something like $60 to plug it in to his computer and do the reset, which is nuts (and inconvenient to boot, he's not around the corner from me either, though not so far as some).

Update

The particular BB I have does not have Wi-Fi but I will give the USB cable a try. I'll keep you posted.

still no go

I was able to use the USB to get the software link to the BB but that is only the installer, not the actual software. The installer is now looking for an internet connection to download the actual software, so I'm stuck again.

My understanding is that the software gets installed on the BB's Micro SD card. Would someone be so kind as to send me a copy of it from their BB and I'll try to install it directly to mine.

Thanx for your help.

No one???

Could anyone using a BB with a GS-911 be so kind as to copy the program from your BB's MicroSD card and send it to me?

Thank you so much!

Back