• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650 twin ABS bleeding

Texpaul

Lost again
Anyone out there done a complete brake fluid change on an ABS equiped F650 twin?
I need to do one on my wife's bike and I don't see any bleed nipples on the ABS pump. I assume (always dangerous) that you can bleed the pump when you bleed the calipers because I can see no way to get fluid out of the pump.
So, would appreciate some pointers from anyone who has done this previously.

I have heard of folks doing a normal brake bleed, then taking the bike out on the road and 'activating' the ABS, then back to the garage for another 'normal' bleed.

I know this doesn't help, but I used my GS911 to do that. Perhaps someone near you may have one??

FWIW, I bleed my 650 twin's brakes the same way I used to do my R1100RS's, and all my bikes before that. Only my servo-assisted R1200GS was different.

I remove the master cylinder cover, attach a clear plastic hose from the bleed nipple on the caliper to a waste container, crack the bleed nipple and carefully pump the brake until the fluid runs clear in the hose, topping up the master cylinder reservoir as required before it empties. Tighten the bleed nipple, adjust the master cylinder reservoir level, put the cap back on and you're done. Do this separately for front and back brakes.

These brakes on the 800s are not linked or servo-assisted, so there's really no need to get any more complicated than that. I've been using this method for about 40 years, and never had a problem. ;)

JP

jopars,

Thanks for the info. Without linking and assist I thought that might be the way to do it but just wanted soemone with experience to confirm.

Thanks again.

jopars,

Thanks for the info. Without linking and assist I thought that might be the way to do it but just wanted soemone with experience to confirm.

Thanks again.

Paul.

I've done Voni's F800S a few times. Just normal bleed at the calipers. The one thing I'd add to the discussion is go to an auto parts store or online and get a "one-man brake bleeder" which is just a vinyl tube with a one-way check valve on the end of it. It works just like Speed Bleeders except I just need one $15 item instead of about 18 Speed Bleeder nipples for all of our bikes.

Paul.

I've done Voni's F800S a few times. Just normal bleed at the calipers. The one thing I'd add to the discussion is go to an auto parts store or online and get a "one-man brake bleeder" which is just a vinyl tube with a one-way check valve on the end of it. It works just like Speed Bleeders except I just need one $15 item instead of about 18 Speed Bleeder nipples for all of our bikes.

And I just ordered enough Speed Bleeders for the 3 bikes we have without them. I have the one man doohickey, but the Speed Bleeders still make it easier.

And I just ordered enough Speed Bleeders for the 3 bikes we have without them. I have the one man doohickey, but the Speed Bleeders still make it easier.

Do they make a speedbleeder that matches the small bleeder on the front master cylinder for ABS bikes?

I checked a while back and they did not ........

FWIW - Before my annual bleeding session I always find a gravel road and "exercise" front & rear ABS to make sure there's not stagnate fluid...

Speedbleeders

Speedbleeders and checkvalves, etc. are not, in my experience, necessary. Provided the clear hose is attached firmly to the caliper bleed nipple, and the pumping of the master cylinder is smooth and continuous while the nipple is open, no air returns into the cylinder. If your taking a moment to top up the master cylinder, or going for a coffee, then close the bleed nipple. Otherwise, the only "special" equipment I've ever needed is the right diameter clear hose. :whistle

JP

Back