• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heading to Weaverville CA Friday

Bdiver

Sign Guy
A few of the Sabre / Magna guys are getting together in Weaverville this weekend. (I've been on their list since mid 90's).

I'm leaving Everett Friday early and zipping down to Gramps Pass, OR then out to the coast, down to Arcata then east on 299 to Weaverville. So if you see some smuck on a dark green RT wave. :dance

So I get down to Gramps Pass, OR and head towards the coast and there are some nice twisties through there. I didn't nuthammer but did enjoy zipping along and I got this strange loose feeling in the rear end. Everytime I stopped for a photo I forgot to check on it until I headed back inland from near Eureka on Hwy 299. I must have gone about 200 miles like this.

Anyway I get some gas and check the tire since I was once again in nice curvy roads and the entire swing arm, wheel and everything felt like it was loose. It moved all over. I pulled over into some shade, got out my tools and checked the bolts holding the wheel on and all tighter than a drum. Hmmm.... This doesn't look good.....

I limped to Weaverville, got a room and then up at 3:30 and limped the 700 miles home on Sat. I made a video and sent it to Paul and he gave me some tips to check on.

More later......

Paul gave me a few tests to try and it sounds like the final drive bearing finally gave up the ghost. I expected I'd have a large amount of fluid dripping all over but had a slight mist on the rim. I am quite amazed that I road it about 900 miles that way home. I have a spare in the dungeon so I'm looking forward to removing and seeing how my bronze bushings look after a yr or two.

We missed you Tom, you should have come up. Ron's got a nice Tiger he brought up there. Only 2 sabmags but still a good time was had by all (except me).

Back